Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JuniorPowerBI
Frequent Visitor

Time Intelligence

Trying to create Time intelligence for a financial report. The report consits of Raw data which has fields like total expenditure, EBIT etc, a Dim_date sheet which consists of all the data for cal date, fiscal year etc. (These two tables are related to each other by a common column)I created the time intelligence Calculation group with Per month, per quarter and Month by month (Calculation Items) using the power query. Now when i go back to my report and try to populate say EBIT, month and the name(calculation item) it gives me a relationship error saying that the tables are not related.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JuniorPowerBI 

Can you provide the detailed error message or screenshot of it? Did you change the table structure in Power Query? What is the old relationship between two tables? If you changed the table structure in Power Query Editor, the old relationship may be broken due to the change then it will remind an error. 

In addition, to my knowledge, calculation groups are created with DAX rather than Power Query. Not sure if we are think of the same "Calculation groups". If you have interest, you can refer to the following blogs:

Creating Calculation Groups in Power BI Desktop - SQLBI

Power BI Calculation Groups - DAX Tutorial - Enterprise DNA

Top 10 uses for Calculation Groups — Apex Insights: Power BI tips & tricks

How And When To Use Calculation Groups In Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Highly appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

Thanks Jing for replying, below is the screenshot of the error message:

vyaskhyatis1_0-1670963402935.png

Sorry I have used DAX to create Time intelligence...here what i did is i exported the data combined from two tables (Raw data and Date- both related to each other by a common column ) and then using TI on it..not sure if I am doing this right.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JuniorPowerBI 

Can you provide the detailed error message or screenshot of it? Did you change the table structure in Power Query? What is the old relationship between two tables? If you changed the table structure in Power Query Editor, the old relationship may be broken due to the change then it will remind an error. 

In addition, to my knowledge, calculation groups are created with DAX rather than Power Query. Not sure if we are think of the same "Calculation groups". If you have interest, you can refer to the following blogs:

Creating Calculation Groups in Power BI Desktop - SQLBI

Power BI Calculation Groups - DAX Tutorial - Enterprise DNA

Top 10 uses for Calculation Groups — Apex Insights: Power BI tips & tricks

How And When To Use Calculation Groups In Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Highly appreciate your Kudos!

Thanks Jing for replying, below is the screenshot of the error message:

vyaskhyatis1_0-1670963402935.png

Sorry I have used DAX to create Time intelligence...here what i did is i exported the data combined from two tables (Raw data and Date- both related to each other by a common column ) and then using TI on it..not sure if I am doing this right.

Looks like you need to hit the yellow Refresh Now button, to update the calculation items in your model. Do you still see the error after that?

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors