Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

PinballWizard
Regular Visitor

Table has no rows

I have a Dataflow (Dataflow A) in Power BI which pulls data from 2 sources and merges (Sharepoint folder .csv files and sql server via a data gateway). I'm using anm identifier column in the data from sql server database table to merge onto the data from the csv files and using that to filter out any unmatched data from the csv files. This has worked well and the data has merged and is visible when opening the dataflow. So far so good.

I have another Dataflow and have brought in data from Dataflow A.  This new dataflow did at one point show all the data from Dataflow A but all of a sudden, although all of the column are appearing  none of the actual rows of data are appearing. I just have a message saying "Table has no rows", which I know not to be the case in Dataflow A as previously mentioned.  Even when clicking on "Source" in power query which is the first step before any of the subsequent data manipulations are carried out the dataflow doesn't pull data from Dataflow A. Also when trying to get data from Dataflow A in Power BI Desktop no rows are retrieved.

There are no error messages I can see either and there doesn't seem to be a good way of debugging the issue.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BiAnalyst
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello @PinballWizard , you seem to know what you doing but just want to make sure at the time of data pull from dataflow, does it say its still refreshing?

this seems to be an issues in majority cases. if dataflow is in the process of refresh it will not show any data except for column names untill refresh has completed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PinballWizard
Regular Visitor

Hi @BiAnalyst . Thanks for your response. Scheduled refreshes were set up to run daily at 2AM due to the volume of data being consumed so as not to interfere with system performance during the day. However these refreshes kept failing. The error messages I kept on receiving were that the most downstream dataflow contained errors relating to a column name however there was no mention of this column name in the M code within this dataflow. This also affected the dataflows upstream for some reason.

Today I decided to copy and paste the M code of the erroring dataflow into notepad and delete it. Then I refreshed the upstream dataflows like you suggested and they seemed to then work. It meant I had to build the deleted dataflow again from scratch with reference to the M code that I copied which took all afternoon but it is now working again.

It's incredibly frustrating that there isn't a better way to interrogate, test and debug any errors raised. Even if the source of the error was a column name/type mismatch there was no clear way of identifying and rectifying.

However it is now working thanks to your suggestion so thanks very much for your input. 🙂

Cheers

BiAnalyst
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello @PinballWizard , you seem to know what you doing but just want to make sure at the time of data pull from dataflow, does it say its still refreshing?

this seems to be an issues in majority cases. if dataflow is in the process of refresh it will not show any data except for column names untill refresh has completed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors