Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ooptennoort
Advocate I
Advocate I

Table.TransformColumnNames in nested table

I need to replace ":" with "" in column names but in a nested table (that I cannot expand yet)... 2 problems:

1) How do I get a nested table as table (1st argument of Table.TransformColumnNames)
2) Then how do i actually get the column names' text replaced

I tried along these lines:

= Table.TransformColumnNames( Table.Column(AddRemovedTopRowHeaderPromoted,"Ranges"), Text.Replace(_,":",""))

and

= Table.TransformColumnNames( Table.FromList(RemovedTopRowPromotedHeaders[Data], Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error), (_) as text => Text.Clean(Text.Replace(_,":","")))

and

RecordsToList = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "RecordsToList", each Record.ToList([Data]{1})),
RenRecordsToList = Table.AddColumn(RecordsToList, "RenRecordsToList", each List.ReplaceValue([RecordsToList],":","", Replacer.ReplaceText)),
Custom2 = Table.RenameColumns([Data], [RecordsToList],[RenRecordsToList] ),
AddRemTopRowHeaderPromoted = Table.AddColumn(Custom2, "Ranges", each Table.PromoteHeaders( Table.Skip([Data],1))),

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @ooptennoort ,

Ok, so there's two stages to this. The first is to perform the dynamic column name changes, the second is to then apply that to a nested table.

So, to do the dynamic change, you would use something like this:

= Table.RenameColumns(
    prevStep,
        List.Zip(
            {
                Table.ColumnNames(prevStep),
                List.Transform(Table.ColumnNames(prevStep), each Text.Replace(_, ":", ""))
            }
        )
    )

Now, to apply that to the nested tables, we need to wrap the whole lot in a Table.TransformColumns and change relevant references to the previous step ('prevStep') to the access operator ('_'):

Table.TransformColumns(
    prevStep,
    {
        "nestedTableColumnName",
        each Table.RenameColumns(
            _,
            List.Zip(
                {
                    Table.ColumnNames(_),
                    List.Transform(Table.ColumnNames(_), each Text.Replace(_, ":", ""))
                }
            )
        )
    }
)

Full example query to turn this:

BA_Pete_0-1684928268179.png

...into this:

BA_Pete_1-1684928291909.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUSouKU1LU4rVgfBKMjLz0ovh3MyS1FwIzwjIy80vSlVAqIcLIWmCi0F1xgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Column_Name = _t]),
    groupRows = Table.Group(Source, {"ID"}, {{"data", each _, type table [ID=nullable text, Column_Name=nullable text]}}),
    renameNestedColumns = Table.TransformColumns(
    groupRows,
    {
        "data",
            _,
            List.Zip(
                {
                    Table.ColumnNames(_),
                    List.Transform(Table.ColumnNames(_), each Text.Replace(_, "_", "____"))
                }
            )
        )
    }
),
    expandNestedData = Table.ExpandTableColumn(renameNestedColumns, "data", {"Column____Name"}, {"Column____Name"})
in
    expandNestedData

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ooptennoort
Advocate I
Advocate I

Wow, thank you!!! List.Zip! Will need to study closer how you did it! Thx

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @ooptennoort ,

Ok, so there's two stages to this. The first is to perform the dynamic column name changes, the second is to then apply that to a nested table.

So, to do the dynamic change, you would use something like this:

= Table.RenameColumns(
    prevStep,
        List.Zip(
            {
                Table.ColumnNames(prevStep),
                List.Transform(Table.ColumnNames(prevStep), each Text.Replace(_, ":", ""))
            }
        )
    )

Now, to apply that to the nested tables, we need to wrap the whole lot in a Table.TransformColumns and change relevant references to the previous step ('prevStep') to the access operator ('_'):

Table.TransformColumns(
    prevStep,
    {
        "nestedTableColumnName",
            _,
            List.Zip(
                {
                    Table.ColumnNames(_),
                    List.Transform(Table.ColumnNames(_), each Text.Replace(_, ":", ""))
                }
            )
        )
    }
)

Full example query to turn this:

BA_Pete_0-1684928268179.png

...into this:

BA_Pete_1-1684928291909.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUSouKU1LU4rVgfBKMjLz0ovh3MyS1FwIzwjIy80vSlVAqIcLIWmCi0F1xgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Column_Name = _t]),
    groupRows = Table.Group(Source, {"ID"}, {{"data", each _, type table [ID=nullable text, Column_Name=nullable text]}}),
    renameNestedColumns = Table.TransformColumns(
    groupRows,
    {
        "data",
            _,
            List.Zip(
                {
                    Table.ColumnNames(_),
                    List.Transform(Table.ColumnNames(_), each Text.Replace(_, "_", "____"))
                }
            )
        )
    }
),
    expandNestedData = Table.ExpandTableColumn(renameNestedColumns, "data", {"Column____Name"}, {"Column____Name"})
in
    expandNestedData

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors