Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

diego_forero30
Frequent Visitor

Setting dynamic parameters from final user to Power Query URL source

Hello there,

I'm facing a challenge that I'm hoping you can help me out to solve,

I have 2 queries both are calling API's by using an URL:

The 1st one is returning a list of events, including a column that contains a single ID for each event.

The 2nd one is returning detailed info for each event, where this query uses a single ID at the end of the calling url, and gives me info only for that specific ID wrote in the calling url, where if I want to see the info related to a different event I have to manually change it by going to Power Query and editing it in the calling url for the api.

My main objective is to fully automate this manual process, by setting something that allows to the final user (even when the report is published in the online service) to select a value from the 1st query, and use that selection as a parameter to be included in the 2nd query calling url.

I've been trying so without no luck, and now I'm hoping anyone of you could help me with this?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
artemus
Employee
Employee

Doing this depends on what connector you are using. For Web.Contents, this won't work as it doesn't directly support direct query (you would have to build your own connector). If your data source does support direct query, then I would need more details to determine what the issue is. 

Hi artemus,

I'm using Web.Contents as I understand this is the only way to connect to a Rest API.

Could you advise if it's possible to connect to the rest api by using direct query?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors