Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fatau2130

Recursive function in Power Query to iterate results from a public REST API

Hi all,

I am relatively new to using Power BI and have been running into an issue when trying to call a lot of data from my database public REST API. Currently I am doing a separate query for each month but would like to find a way to loop the query to iterate through each month.

Each row of data has a unique identifier so could iterate through that way? The API has a standard return of 200 rows but you can specify limit in the URL up to 10,000. The API does not have an offset available so a lot of options for this I see online are not viable. The API also returns the data as a List of Records.

I have tried to create a recursive loop to get this working as follows using a blank query (User Key and Secret are set as parameters):   

let

fetchData = (url, headers) =>

let

response = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url, headers)),

data = response[Data]

in

data,

url = "my_API_URL",

headers = [

#"User" = User,

#"Key" = Key,

#"Secret" = Secret

],

result = List.Generate(

() => [url = url, headers = headers, data = {}],

each List.Count([data]) > 0,

each [url = url, headers = headers, data = fetchData([url], [headers])],

each [url = url, headers = headers, data = {}]

),

allData = List.Combine(List.Transform(result, each [data]))

in

allData

This doesn't return any errors but is not producing any results so not sure where I am going wrong. Any additions to the current function or another method to loop the query would be greatly appreciated 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Fatau2130 regardless of anything else, this is what stops List.Generate to produce any result.

() => [url = url, headers = headers, data = {}],
        each List.Count([data]) > 0

Your first item has zero values in data list.  

ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

How are you passing the filter for each month into the API? Also, if your API doesn't have skip or offset, does it offer pagination and gives you a link to the next set of results?

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors