Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nigi1978
Regular Visitor

Question about the behavior of internal sub query processing in Power Query

Hi community

I would have  a question about the behavior of internal sub query processing in Power Query.

Let's assume we have a query (A) that reads an external datat source, like :

let
         Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText(..........),
         #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Input", type text}})
in
         #"Changed Type

And two queries (B) & (C) that take (A) as input, like:

let
        Source = (A),
#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Index", 0, 1)
        in
#"Added Index"

I need to ensure that (B) and (C) have exactly the same snapshot of the data as input. And as the data read by (A) might change at anytime, it will make a difference if the internal processing is like a one-time run of (A) with (B) & (C) just taking the result of this one-time run OR if (B) & (C) each trigger their own run of (A) in the background.

Is the processing in the way that (B) and (C) will have exactly the same data status? If not, how can I achieve this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ehren
Employee
Employee

Unfortunately there isn't a built-in way to do this in PQ Desktop today. There are some workarounds, but they're not ideal.

One way to do this in the cloud world would be to use a dataflow. Load (A) as a computed entity, and then all the queries that reference it will get the same copy of (A). Is this an option for you?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nigi1978
Regular Visitor

Thanks - took a dataflow now and rearranged my process a bit

Ehren
Employee
Employee

Unfortunately there isn't a built-in way to do this in PQ Desktop today. There are some workarounds, but they're not ideal.

One way to do this in the cloud world would be to use a dataflow. Load (A) as a computed entity, and then all the queries that reference it will get the same copy of (A). Is this an option for you?

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @nigi1978 ,

I'm tagging Ehren as he's the wizard you need for this, I think.

@Ehren , sorry to disturb, but can you take a look at this one and advise please?

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors