Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Query Editor Incremental Load

After a query has loaded data to the desktop client is there a way to add an additional table later on without re-running previous queries? I tried unselecting "Enable Load" on the older queries but this effectively removes that data from the data model. If I have 80 gazillion rows loaded and now need to add just a few thousand more why should I have to wait a long time for the 80 gazillion rows to "refresh" when I know that data is static and unchanging? (Especially if the 80 gazillion caused tons of crashes due to memory issues)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

Currently You can not achieve this incremental loading of data in the PowerBI. Please see this ideas post and vote for it to get this feature in near future.

To achieve this functionality, you should create your model in SSAS Tabular and use PowerBI to connect to it.

Or

You create your model in PowerBI and load that in SSAS Tabular 2016.

For more information on incremental loading of data in SSAS Tabular, Visit this post.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

Currently You can not achieve this incremental loading of data in the PowerBI. Please see this ideas post and vote for it to get this feature in near future.

To achieve this functionality, you should create your model in SSAS Tabular and use PowerBI to connect to it.

Or

You create your model in PowerBI and load that in SSAS Tabular 2016.

For more information on incremental loading of data in SSAS Tabular, Visit this post.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

@robarivas if you right click the "..." on any data table in the tables view you get the menu shown below.  I've been using "refresh data" to refresh a reasonably small table and it's dependencies (calc columns) when there are some huge tables that take hours to refresh and stress my 16gb ram computer to the max (100% cpu and 100% memory with nothing else running).  I'll bet you can run this after you add a new table and need to load the data in the query.  This may do what you're looking for.  Tom

Capture.PNG

The best work around I can think of is to have a local copy of historical data and load the same using a separate query. For the newest data, run an R script with append=TRUE to achieve incremental load.

If the historical data is to be transformed, then first do all the transformation aqctivity in Power BI and then export the data to a csv using R Script to have a local copy of transformed and clean data.

Thanks to Imke Feldmann for this work around. However, I'm wondering on how to automate the date range for newest data based on the last date of historical data.

Would be great if someone can provide a soultion for the same. Meanwhile, we can vote here: Incremental Data Load

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors