Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

akensik
Frequent Visitor

Problem using Power BI Service as data source

I have problems using Power BI Service as data source.

I created a blank pbix-File with some sample data via Enter Data and published it to the service.

When I try to use this as data via Get Data>Power BI Service in a new pbis-File I get this error message:

Unexpected Error,

An error occured while loading the model for the item or data source xxx. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have perissions to access the data source.

I have no idea how to fix this. When I try this in a complete new PowerBI free account it works.

Any idea which mistake I made?

Thank you

Andreas

9 REPLIES 9
akensik
Frequent Visitor

In the meantime I tried it with a new user in my domain. Same error. Maybe something wrong with my domain?

But I don't know where to edit the permissions.

@akensik,

I test your code in Power BI Desktop, everything works well when I use Power BI Service as data source. Does the issue occur on this specific PBIX file?

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft,

no, it happens with every file.

Regards,

Andreas

@akensik,

I would recommend you create a support ticket in support.powerbi.com site.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft,

OK. I'll try that. Thank you so far.

Regards,

Andreas

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @akensik,

I test the scenario as yours, but I am unable to reproduce your issue. Do you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.46.4732.721)? Which workspace do you publish the PBIX file? Would you mind sharing me the PBIX file so that I can test?

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Dear @v-yuezhe-msft

Thank you for your assistance.

Yes my version is: Version: 2.46.4732.721 64-bit (Mai 2017)

I published it to My Workspace. How can I share it with you?

Regards,

Andreas

@akensik are you publishing the initial PBIX to a workspace in which you are not an admin? You need edit rights on the datasource in order to use it in a different PBIX.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you for your reply @Seth_C_Bauer. It' s a complete new PBIX file, contain only a single datasource with some manually entered values:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmDSBEyagkkzpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Test = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Test", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

I published it to My Workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors