Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Joakim_gg
Frequent Visitor

Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display

Hi Community, 

I am currently experiencing the error message as shown below in Power BI Desktop. I know that there's been other threads regarding the same issue in the past. However, I've not been able to find any concrete solution to this issue and I am unsure as to whether it is just a bug or not.

Joakim_gg_0-1686208500329.png

This error occurrs as I am connecting to my Dataverse environment and load a couple of tables which i want to transform in the Power Query Editor. The tables are not necessarily that complex in terms of columns, relationships, etc but still this error is shown. 

I am on the May 2023 version of Power BI Desktop and a couple of months ago the same operation was working just fine, until now.

Does anyone know how this can be resolved and is this a general issue with Power BI these days, or is it something that may occur for certain users?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Joakim_gg 

I found a similar issue when connecting to Dataverse with Import mode, you may try the following workaround. 

Don't use relationship

Some data source has the checkbox to use relationship or not. If no UI available, users can still do it in advanced editor if it's supported. For example:

Source = CommonDataService.Database("xxxxxxxxx.crm.dynamics.com", [CreateNavigationProperties=false])

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Joakim_gg 

I found a similar issue when connecting to Dataverse with Import mode, you may try the following workaround. 

Don't use relationship

Some data source has the checkbox to use relationship or not. If no UI available, users can still do it in advanced editor if it's supported. For example:

Source = CommonDataService.Database("xxxxxxxxx.crm.dynamics.com", [CreateNavigationProperties=false])

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Unfortunetly this does not work for me. Yes, It works but my report (that I have inherited) uses tablet that are joined to the one I want to load. So basically it does not load on "Navigate".

It worked in April 2023 (beginning). I have even tried with PBI Desktop from Feb 2023 and the same issue.

I checked what happens if I try to create dataflow with this table, and in web works (still there is a warning message but data load fine).

Any ideas what might have happen? Is it Dataverse issue?

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Briilliant. But why has it just started happening on an old model that never had issues? Something changed in Dynamics? 

Hello @v-jingzhang,

Thank you very much for this! It resolved the issue I was facing as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors