Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

gautampruthi
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Detecting different type of relationship in direct and import query

Hi,

I noticed Power BI is detecting different cardinality when i am building same report in import and direct query. whats the reason behind it 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gautampruthi 

This is a great question. The primary reason for the difference in cardinality detection between Import and Direct Query modes lies in how Power BI interacts with the data source and the data itself in each mode.

Import Mode: In Import mode, Power BI copies data from the data source into its own in-memory engine. This allows Power BI to analyze the entire dataset directly and determine relationships, including cardinality, based on the data it has imported. Since Power BI has full visibility of the dataset, it can accurately determine the best cardinality for relationships.

Direct Query Mode: In Direct Query mode, Power BI does not import data. Instead, it queries the data source in real-time as needed. Because of this, Power BI relies on the metadata and schema of the data source to determine relationships. It does not analyze the actual data to determine cardinality. This can lead to differences in how relationships are detected compared to Import mode. Additionally, Direct Query mode may impose certain limitations based on the data source's capabilities and constraints, which can further affect relationship detection.

However, you can always modify or create a relationship manually to make the relationships more appropriate for your model.

For more detailed information on how to create and manage relationships in Power BI, I recommend reviewing the following documentation: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gautampruthi 

This is a great question. The primary reason for the difference in cardinality detection between Import and Direct Query modes lies in how Power BI interacts with the data source and the data itself in each mode.

Import Mode: In Import mode, Power BI copies data from the data source into its own in-memory engine. This allows Power BI to analyze the entire dataset directly and determine relationships, including cardinality, based on the data it has imported. Since Power BI has full visibility of the dataset, it can accurately determine the best cardinality for relationships.

Direct Query Mode: In Direct Query mode, Power BI does not import data. Instead, it queries the data source in real-time as needed. Because of this, Power BI relies on the metadata and schema of the data source to determine relationships. It does not analyze the actual data to determine cardinality. This can lead to differences in how relationships are detected compared to Import mode. Additionally, Direct Query mode may impose certain limitations based on the data source's capabilities and constraints, which can further affect relationship detection.

However, you can always modify or create a relationship manually to make the relationships more appropriate for your model.

For more detailed information on how to create and manage relationships in Power BI, I recommend reviewing the following documentation: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors