Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DataHero
Frequent Visitor

PQ merge comission data within a range of numbers

Hi forum,

Im facing a challenge to solve regarding the calculation of sales comissions.

The comission is depending on a discount for sold items.

I have 2 tables: 

1. DimComission

This table contains the [DiscountUpperBoundary%] & [Comission%].

[DiscountUpperBoundary%]             [Comission%]

0%10%
3%10%
5%10%
10%10%
15%9%
17%8%
20%6%
25%4%
30%0%

As you can see, the more discount a salesman grants to the customer, the less comission the salesman gets.

2. FactComission

This table containts the real sales data from an ERP system for a lot of orders.

This is just a unique extracts of them:

[ActualDiscount%]

0,00 %
1,00 %
5,00 %
6,00 %
10,00 %
12,00 %
14,50 %
15,40 %
16,00 %
18,00 %
19,00 %
20,00 %
23,00 %
23,50 %
25,00 %
26,00 %
28,00 %
29,00 %
30,00 %
32,50 %

My question: How can i merge the Fact table with the ranges of the Dimensions dynamically?

For example, [ActualDiscount%] 6,00 % is not in the DimComission table so 10% is to be taken, as its the next highest [DiscountUpperBoundary%]. 

Could this be solved maybe with a list in PQ or are there other solutions?

Thanks for any help and advice

Kind regards,
DataHero

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DataHero ,

Yes, I think you first need to get the two columns DiscountLowerBoundary and DiscountUpperBoundary in your DimComission table:

tackytechtom_0-1684985957532.png

Here the code in Power Query M that you can paste into the advanced editor (if you do not know, how to exactly do this, please check out this quick walkthrough)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlBV0lEyBJKxOtFKxsgcU2SOIYo6Q7CcJZRjDuJYQDhGYHVmUA5YmQnUbLAMyIBYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DiscountUpperBoundary = _t, Comission = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"DiscountUpperBoundary", Percentage.Type}, {"Comission", Percentage.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"DiscountUpperBoundary", "DiscountLowerBoundary"}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1", {"Index.1"}, #"Added Index1", {"Index"}, "Added Index1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Index1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Index1", {"DiscountLowerBoundary"}, {"DiscountUpperBoundary"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Added Index1",{"Index", "Index.1"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

With them in place, you should be able to get the matches as described in the link:

tackytechtom_1-1684986114346.png

Here the M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Tc7BCcBACETRXoTcgphxDUktsv23kUPQ8fZA/ZgppmaH7DPlakXr5nQsglwaxdBVHGcP+TbBGHyyYuALYAyMgTFnzPEX9gc=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ActualDiscount = _t]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ActualDiscount", Percentage.Type}}),
    Merge = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Comission",
                            (F) =>  Table.SelectRows(DimComission,
                                                    (D)=> D[DiscountUpperBoundary] > F[ActualDiscount] and D[DiscountLowerBoundary] <= F[ActualDiscount] )
                           ),
    #"Expanded Comission" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merge, "Comission", {"Comission"}, {"Comission"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded Comission",null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Comission"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value",{{"Comission", Percentage.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Was it this you were looking for? 🙂

Let me know!

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
slorin
Super User
Super User

Hi

Add a new column in FactComission

try DimComission[#"Comission%"]{List.PositionOf(DimComission[#"DiscountUpperBoundary%"],[#"ActualDiscount%"],1,(x,y)=>x<y)+1} otherwise 0

Stéphane

Hi @slorin  can you explain more about this solution?
What is it doing specifically?

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @DataHero ,

Have a look into this blog post. I think they did something similar there:

Merging with date range using Power Query - Exceed

Let me know if this helps 🙂

/Tom

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Hi @tackytechtom thank you very much for the link.

I tried that solution and it works partially.

I think the problem is that I dont have ranges in the DimComission table.

There is the upper value only but nothing like 0-3%.
And its very time consuming to change this manually in the data source.

Do you know, how I can implement a proper range with 2 columns in Power Query?

Kind regards,
DataHero

Hi @DataHero ,

Yes, I think you first need to get the two columns DiscountLowerBoundary and DiscountUpperBoundary in your DimComission table:

tackytechtom_0-1684985957532.png

Here the code in Power Query M that you can paste into the advanced editor (if you do not know, how to exactly do this, please check out this quick walkthrough)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlBV0lEyBJKxOtFKxsgcU2SOIYo6Q7CcJZRjDuJYQDhGYHVmUA5YmQnUbLAMyIBYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [DiscountUpperBoundary = _t, Comission = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"DiscountUpperBoundary", Percentage.Type}, {"Comission", Percentage.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"DiscountUpperBoundary", "DiscountLowerBoundary"}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Index", "Index.1", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index1", {"Index.1"}, #"Added Index1", {"Index"}, "Added Index1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Added Index1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Added Index1", {"DiscountLowerBoundary"}, {"DiscountUpperBoundary"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Added Index1",{"Index", "Index.1"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

With them in place, you should be able to get the matches as described in the link:

tackytechtom_1-1684986114346.png

Here the M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Tc7BCcBACETRXoTcgphxDUktsv23kUPQ8fZA/ZgppmaH7DPlakXr5nQsglwaxdBVHGcP+TbBGHyyYuALYAyMgTFnzPEX9gc=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ActualDiscount = _t]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ActualDiscount", Percentage.Type}}),
    Merge = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Comission",
                            (F) =>  Table.SelectRows(DimComission,
                                                    (D)=> D[DiscountUpperBoundary] > F[ActualDiscount] and D[DiscountLowerBoundary] <= F[ActualDiscount] )
                           ),
    #"Expanded Comission" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merge, "Comission", {"Comission"}, {"Comission"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded Comission",null,0,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Comission"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value",{{"Comission", Percentage.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Was it this you were looking for? 🙂

Let me know!

/Tom

#proudtobeasuperuser 

This is really impressive!
Thank you so much for your help!

Kind regards,
DataHero

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors