Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Passion_fruit_4

Lookupvalue

Hello Community,

My end goal is that for any null value to retrieve the value from the previous column. For example, null from Stars.2 row 2 = Stars:Chris Wood, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Lena Headey, Mark Hamill from Stars.1 row 2

What needs to change in the following formula to execute the code below successfully.

IF(ISBLANK([STARS.2]]),LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[[STARS.1]],'Table'[Row ID],EARLIER('Table'[Row ID])),[[STARS.2]])

Passion_fruit_4_1-1685489821920.png

With appreciation.

2 REPLIES 2
tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @Passion_fruit_4 ,

Is it this you are looking for? 

Before:

tackytechtom_0-1685495338918.png

After:

tackytechtom_1-1685495352746.png

Here the code in Power Query M that you can paste into the advanced editor (if you do not know, how to exactly do this, please check out this quick walkthrough)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXJUitWJVjICsvJKc3LAHGNkjgmQ4wRmmcJZZsgKzIEcZzDLAlnYEpljaIDCA9nrAmEaIZgIa2MB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"null",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", type text}}),    
    #"Replace Values" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [Column2],each if [Column2] is null then [Column1] else [Column2],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Column2"})

in
    #"Replace Values"

Hope this helps!

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

edhans
Super User
Super User

Create a new column in Power Query

if [Stars.2] = null then [Stars.1] else [Stars.2]

Then delete Stars.2 and only load Stars.1 and the new column. Or, delete the Stars.1 column if you don't need that in Power BI.

The "null" above is a keyword and must be all lower case. It will turn green in the editor. Cannot be Null or NULL. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors