Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to conditionally update fields in one column, based upon data in another column.

I'm trying to find a way thru query to update a date field in one column, based upon the conditional value of another column.  Is there a way to do this?

Here is a simple example.

RecordCreated DateWork ID
A4/1/202012345
B4/15/202023456
C6/20/2020

D5/10/202045678
E12/25/202056789

I'm trying to use query to conditionally change the "Created Date" based upon the value of "Work Type".  I'd like to craft a query such that If "Work ID = 23456" then replace "Created Date" with the "Created Date" for "Work ID 56789".  So when finished, record B would have a Created Date of 12/25/20.

I'm having trouble crafting anything that works using Table.ReplaceValue that also contains my conditional logic.  Is there a better way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous , Table.ReplaceValue, as well as Table.ReplaceText, is one of the most powerful function in M language which one could imagine; it does the trick for your request with ease. You might want to try

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("PcxBDoAwCATAv3BuQsFS9ajVVxD+/w0B0952d5JVhQsKNCTkytUj8dYErCjcP8iUgJ4yvHWfpwTsKY83QVoScKS8+Y287kJOMPsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Record = _t, #"Created Date" = _t, #"Work ID" = _t]),

Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(Source, "", each if [Work ID]="23456" then Source{[#"Work ID"="56789"]}[Created Date] else [Created Date], (x,y,z)=>z, {"Created Date"})
in
    Custom1

Screenshot 2021-03-02 095841.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mertubo

there are not only good answers but especially good questions 😉

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous , Table.ReplaceValue, as well as Table.ReplaceText, is one of the most powerful function in M language which one could imagine; it does the trick for your request with ease. You might want to try

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("PcxBDoAwCATAv3BuQsFS9ajVVxD+/w0B0952d5JVhQsKNCTkytUj8dYErCjcP8iUgJ4yvHWfpwTsKY83QVoScKS8+Y287kJOMPsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Record = _t, #"Created Date" = _t, #"Work ID" = _t]),

Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(Source, "", each if [Work ID]="23456" then Source{[#"Work ID"="56789"]}[Created Date] else [Created Date], (x,y,z)=>z, {"Created Date"})
in
    Custom1

Screenshot 2021-03-02 095841.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

edhans
Super User
Super User

There is no basic code to do this @Anonymous. It is possible but would involve much more complex code and may have performance considerations.

Even a simpler way may have performance issues. It depends on your data set. The best way is to have a new table that will do the cross reference for you. But if this is a one off, then this works. This is untennable with multiple date changes based on many different work IDs.

This

edhans_0-1614646817979.png

becomes this:

edhans_1-1614646838729.png

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Work ID", Int64.Type}, {"Created Date", type date}}),
    NewCreatedDate = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            #"Changed Type",
            "New Created Date",
            each if [Work ID] = 23456 then Table.SelectRows(Table.Buffer(#"Changed Type"), each [Work ID] = 56789)[Created Date]{0}
            else [Created Date],
            Date.Type
        ),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(NewCreatedDate,{"Record", "New Created Date", "Work ID"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"New Created Date", "Created Date"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors