Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Tamarah_
Frequent Visitor

HELP: Generate rows with calculated values which depend on parameters

Hi, I am new to this community and trying to get along with PowerBI especially PowerQueries regarding m syntax.

I have one fixed table that consists of the basic fare for transaction costs depending on transaction count that is spread through buckets as: 

Tamarah__0-1693413718960.png

It seems simple, but I am struggling to generate rows with calculated cost per bucket which will depend on the increased percentage rate.. What I have done so far is managed to create a query as this (with a fixed increase rate),

Tamarah__2-1693413979910.png

but this only generates one additional row for the next year... I need some way to generate multiple rows for the next X years with the possibility to increase each cost by X percent (in case it is changed in the future).

I have thought of some ideas to generate a list with years that would cross-join with this table and try to generate cost using the years from the list as parameters... but not sure how am I supposed to proceed.

I would be glad for any feedback. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Tamarah_, You can use this as an example, which you can adopt to your scenario:

let
    PricingTable = 
        let 
            Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICYmMgNgFiUxDfwMhYKTYWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Bucket 1" = _t, #"Bucket 2" = _t, #"Bucket 3" = _t, #"Bucket 4" = _t, #"Bucket 5" = _t, FY = _t]),
            #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Bucket 1", Int64.Type}, {"Bucket 2", Int64.Type}, {"Bucket 3", Int64.Type}, {"Bucket 4", Int64.Type}, {"Bucket 5", Int64.Type}, {"FY", Int64.Type}})
        in #"Changed Type",
    IndexTable = 
        let 

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMlHSUTLUM7BQitUB803BfEMDGN8MIm+qFBsLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [FY = _t, Index = _t]),
            #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"FY", Int64.Type}, {"Index", type number}})
        in #"Changed Type",
    Process = List.Accumulate(  Table.ToRecords(IndexTable), 
                                Table.ToRecords(PricingTable),  
                                (a, n) => a & 
                                    {
                                        Record.TransformFields(
                                            List.Last(a), 
                                            List.Transform(
                                                List.Select(
                                                    Table.ColumnNames(PricingTable), 
                                                    each Text.Contains(_, "Bucket")
                                                ), 
                                                each {_, (x) =>  x * n[Index]}
                                            ) & 
                                            {{"FY", each n[FY]}} 
                                        ) 
                                    }  
                                ),
    Convert = Table.FromRecords(Process, Value.Type(PricingTable))
in Convert

Just copy and paste it into a Blank Query to see how it works.

The main work is happening in the Process step, which:

1. Filters column names from the main table using "bucket" as a driver, we need this to further apply indexing. (List.Select)

2. Generated a transformaiton rules for all bucket (using the list created above) and FY columns (List.Transform)

3. Applies rules on the last current row in the main table and append the result to the bottom of the table (List.Accumulate)

Kind regards,

John

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tamarah_
Frequent Visitor

Hey @jbwtp

I was able to implement this into my existing table and now looks like this (where I use the starting point for the calculations from my initial table FY24) 

Tamarah__0-1693488763681.png

I was having few more questions about this:

1. Where exactly (I suppose in the indexing part) are you setting the "loop" for how many years this list needs to transform and return the calculations because this only runs 3 more times (until 2027 as in my example)
  2. Also is there any way all of this could be resolved in a way to have the fiscal year and the increased percentage rate modular for future purposes (function with parameters or so)? As far as I browsed, a user cannot do manual input to insert fiscal years or increased rate on screen and then do this filtering and calculating which would result in this visualization... Even though in my circumstance, I know for a fact that I need to increase this cost every year. Any way I can manage that?

I hope my concerns make sense, 

Thanks!

Hi @Tamarah_,

1. This is provided i n the IndexTable. Every row in this table represents a FY and COLA index. If you add more to there, there will be more lines in the output table. Please note that FY is also taken from this table rather than calculated, so it is possible to make "gaps".

2. The answer is in the IndexTable too. If you make it an Excel file and link to your dataset, the end user will be able to edit the file by updating indexes and adding FYs, which then will be imported to PBI and added to the final table. Hope this makes sense,.

Cheers,

John

jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Tamarah_, You can use this as an example, which you can adopt to your scenario:

let
    PricingTable = 
        let 
            Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICYmMgNgFiUxDfwMhYKTYWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Bucket 1" = _t, #"Bucket 2" = _t, #"Bucket 3" = _t, #"Bucket 4" = _t, #"Bucket 5" = _t, FY = _t]),
            #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Bucket 1", Int64.Type}, {"Bucket 2", Int64.Type}, {"Bucket 3", Int64.Type}, {"Bucket 4", Int64.Type}, {"Bucket 5", Int64.Type}, {"FY", Int64.Type}})
        in #"Changed Type",
    IndexTable = 
        let 

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMlHSUTLUM7BQitUB803BfEMDGN8MIm+qFBsLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [FY = _t, Index = _t]),
            #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"FY", Int64.Type}, {"Index", type number}})
        in #"Changed Type",
    Process = List.Accumulate(  Table.ToRecords(IndexTable), 
                                Table.ToRecords(PricingTable),  
                                (a, n) => a & 
                                    {
                                        Record.TransformFields(
                                            List.Last(a), 
                                            List.Transform(
                                                List.Select(
                                                    Table.ColumnNames(PricingTable), 
                                                    each Text.Contains(_, "Bucket")
                                                ), 
                                                each {_, (x) =>  x * n[Index]}
                                            ) & 
                                            {{"FY", each n[FY]}} 
                                        ) 
                                    }  
                                ),
    Convert = Table.FromRecords(Process, Value.Type(PricingTable))
in Convert

Just copy and paste it into a Blank Query to see how it works.

The main work is happening in the Process step, which:

1. Filters column names from the main table using "bucket" as a driver, we need this to further apply indexing. (List.Select)

2. Generated a transformaiton rules for all bucket (using the list created above) and FY columns (List.Transform)

3. Applies rules on the last current row in the main table and append the result to the bottom of the table (List.Accumulate)

Kind regards,

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors