Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

untapjoseph
Helper I
Helper I

Grouping table rows and sorting

Hello - i think this is best placed as a power query issue. 

I am trying to order a table, but the issue is that the rows need to be grouped also.  An example of the data is as follows:

TransactionFundValueVariableDate
ATotal105001/03/2022
AX55.501/03/2022
AY3201/04/2022
AZ2601/03/2022
BTotal34501/06/2022
BW3301/06/2022

The table visual needs to display the Transaction fund Total with each individual fund as rows below it, with all the groups of transaction sorted by the date. A simple way to do this would be to use a matrix and have the transaction as a sub-total, but a couple of the columns are aggregated and so the source data row needs to be use. 

In theory, I could create a custom column that applies the Total date to all other funds within the same transaction and then concatenate column with the transaction to create a index identifyer. But i am open to any thoughts on how this can be best approached. 

Many thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @untapjoseph 

Does your current table have the Total rows as shown in the example? If so, I can transform it into the following table (Date is sorted ascendingly in each Transaction group and the Total row is on the top of each group).

vjingzhang_0-1667982617394.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUQrJL0nMAdKGBkDCFEQYGOobGOsbGRgZKcXqQBRFgORAWM8Uu4JIIDYGYiOotAmqdBRUygxTtxOSG0AmmMBsMENVEw6VN0aTjgUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Transaction = _t, Fund = _t, Value = _t, Variable = _t, Date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Transaction", type text}, {"Fund", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}, {"Variable", type number}, {"Date", type date}}, "en-GB"),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Fund Sort", each if [Fund] = "Total" then 0 else 1),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Conditional Column", {"Transaction"}, {{"All Data", each _, type table [Transaction=nullable text, Fund=nullable text, Value=nullable number, Variable=nullable number, Date=nullable date, Fund Sort=number]}}),
    Custom1 = Table.TransformColumns(#"Grouped Rows", {"All Data", each Table.Sort(_, {{"Fund Sort", Order.Ascending}, {"Date", Order.Ascending}})}),
    #"Expanded All Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Custom1, "All Data", {"Fund", "Value", "Variable", "Date", "Fund Sort"}, {"Fund", "Value", "Variable", "Date", "Fund Sort"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded All Data",{"Fund Sort"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

However, when I apply it to the report and add columns to a table visual, it doesn't remain this sorting when displaying. You may have a try. 

If I didn't understand it correctly, can you please show the expected output format with the example data? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors