Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MBroeker

Get Data - Load - Lat Lon data modified

I've tried loading an Excel spreadsheet and connecting to an Access database of 15,000 records of location (lat / lon) information. When I select the data to Edit in the Navigator Dialog, the data looks good. When i Load the data, all of the lan/lon data is changed to incorrect values.  Default Summarization is Sum, which I don't want. Resetting that property to Do Not Summarize does not restore the lat/lon data to correct values. How do I change the load to preserve my correct data? Very frustrating for something that should be automatic and was in Tableau.

1 REPLY 1

@MBroeker It could be a result of Power BI trying to auto-detect the data type. You can disable this by going to File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Data Load -> Type Detection, disable it

What is the data type that is set?

Another thing to check, under "Modeling" in the header:

You can set the Data Category to Latitude and Longitude for each column.

I just tested a quick sample and there are a couple things here. I have no issues with the Data Type being Decimal and the format = general and I didn't need to set the data category, but it may resolve your issue depending on the data type.

My auto detection is on btw.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors