Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

heidibb
Helper IV
Helper IV

Execute permissions denied on Stored Procedure connection

Hello,

My data connection is executing a stored procedure with parameters. 

Capture.JPG

When trying to refresh within the service, I am getting this error

Capture2.JPG

I did find another thread that mentioned giving execute rights to the service account in SQL. I'm not sure exactly what that means though. is this something I can do within my desktop file? Is it something that needs to be done elsewhere? I just need to know if we need to get our Power BI administrator involved or if this is something I can do myself.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/EXECUTE-Permission-denied/m-p/130850#M8...

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@heidibb "Your Account" is the account that was used to create the data source in Power BI. Go to Settings (wheel icon) -> manage gateways -> Click on a data source and the username and password are hidden (This is the account you need to grant permissions to.) Or, this should be an administrator account and be granted higher level permissions so you don't run into this all the time.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
heidibb
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thank you! My question is what is "youraccount".

My powerBI file is refreshing in the service through a production enterprise gateway (not a personal gateway).

When looking at my gateway connection, I have "Use a data gateway" selected, then it lists the gateway information.... status, Department, Gateway, Contact information and Description. Is there something there that I need to specify when we are granting permissions

Capture.JPG

@heidibb "Your Account" is the account that was used to create the data source in Power BI. Go to Settings (wheel icon) -> manage gateways -> Click on a data source and the username and password are hidden (This is the account you need to grant permissions to.) Or, this should be an administrator account and be granted higher level permissions so you don't run into this all the time.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer! I am not able to see the gateway details with my account. I will get in touch with our administrator to do this! I appreciate all the info!

Thanks you.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@heidibb,

Connect to your SQL Server instance with an admin account using SQL Server Management Studio, then open a query window, and execute the following command. “Youraccount” is the account that you used to connect to SQL Server in Power BI.

USE msr
GO
GRANT Execute ON [dbo].Get_TeamLeadDashboard_Sections TO ‘Youraccount’

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@heidibb  What gateway are you using, and is it the latest version? If you can execute the procedure in the Desktop, my initial guess is that the gateway is "not" personal and you have different credentials on the actual data source. In which case, I would confirm that the user account of that data source be validated in SQL to ensure it has the correct permissions to execute the stored procedure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors