Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dallas7890
Helper I
Helper I

Display time over 24 hours in Power BI

Hello

I'm having a little challenge in a simple table trying to calculate the time passed, for example from 22:00 to 2:00 in the morning.

I have tried this code to calculate the Duration in Minutes it works as long as the times are on the same day, otherwise, it gives me a negative minutes.

I would also like to ask power bi to change the Shift end Date to the next day if it goes past midnight.

I am hoping someone can help me.

Dallas7890_0-1660132728394.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you so much, Vijay. The formula worked perfectly

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Dallas7890
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Vijay

I didn't have a Start Datetime or End Datetime column to work with. I had to try and create these columns. 

This is the only data 

Dallas7890_0-1660149673313.png

That is the beginning of my problem. I didn't have a start date/time column or End date/time. I tried to create both columns using power query using the column merge with a space. Using the Date and Start and then the Date and End. This end column isn't correct for the ones that are past 12 am should go to the next day. 

If I could create a good End Date Time column, using the Hours but I didn't know how to do that. 

Would you know how I can do that?

Thank you kindly for your help

It looks like that your shift ends next day. You will need to create Start Datetime and End Datetime like these in PQ

=[Date]&[Start]

=Date.AddDays([Date],1)&[Start]

Then in PQ, you can use following formula for Total Minutes

= Duration.TotalMinutes([EndDateTime]-[StartDateTime])

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjTUNzIAIiNDJR0gx8rE1MrAQCHAF8izALJAHEdfpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Start = _t, End = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Start", type time}, {"End", type time}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "StartDateTime", each [Date]&[Start], type datetime),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "EndDateTime", each Date.AddDays([Date],1)&[End]),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "TotalMinutes", each Duration.TotalMinutes([EndDateTime]-[StartDateTime]))
in
    #"Added Custom2"
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Use below formula for minutes calculation

Duration in Mintes = ([Shift end Date]-[Shift start Date])*1440

Hello Vijay,

Thanks for the formula but 

It's still the same problem when the time bleeds over past 12 am into the next day

I would also like to create a new date time that correctly shows the next day for these records. I just merged the date and the end date because I didn't now how to create and end date column and time column any other way. 

Dallas7890_0-1660145988093.png

The shift can't end before the shift starts. This issue will lead to data inconsistency.

Assuming the intention to put this data is correct, then you can use below formula

=ABS([Shift start Date]-[Shift end Date])*1440

Hi Vijay,

This formula works perfectly except for some really do end on the same day

Is there any way to tell the formula that?

Here is what it looks like now using your amazing formula

The only problem if you see some are really starting at 6:30 am and ending on the same day shift at 4:30 pm

Thank again for helping me with this.

Much appreciated. 

Dallas7890_0-1660152993638.png

Here is a better look. For example, some really do start and end on the same shift 

for example the start at 7:00:00 AM should still end on the same day 4/1/2021 at 8:00:00pm

also the 12:00 AM to 12:00: AM should all just remain as the same day

No time was really worked on these days

Dallas7890_1-1660153495585.png

Replacing End Date time with this formula will solve the problem

if [End]>=[Start] then [Date]&[End] else Date.AddDays([Date],1)&[End]

The formula for End DateTime will need to be changed to

if [End]>=[Start] then [Date]&[End] else Date.AddDays([Date],1)&[End]

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjTUNzIAIiNDJR0gx8rE1MrAQCHAF8izALJAHEdfpVgdiEojmEoDEytjmCRQnwGUB9QXGwsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Start = _t, End = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Start", type time}, {"End", type time}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "StartDateTime", each [Date]&[Start], type datetime),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "EndDateTime", each if [End]>[Start] then [Date]&[End] else Date.AddDays([Date],1)&[End]),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "TotalMinutes", each Duration.TotalMinutes([EndDateTime]-[StartDateTime]))
in
    #"Added Custom2"

Thank you so much, Vijay. The formula worked perfectly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors