Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jsullivan928

Direct Query user needing to add a calculated column

I am working in Direct Query where I don't have access to the actual data due to SQL permission rights and the application I am pulling the data from won't allow any changes to the database. When I do the direct query I have a column of numbers that range from 400-850 and I want to group them together in certain ranges. I have tried creating a group but I am limited to either data ranges of 25 and I need them in groups that are not a set range. For instance anything less than 600 I need to be gouped together and then any number from 600-624 in another group and then 625-659, 660-699, 700-724,725-774,775+. I can group and put them in a BIN but I think there should be an easier way. I tried to transform the data by adding a Custom Column in the Transfrom data mode but I get a message when I use the IF or SWITCH commands that this is not supported in a Direct Query mode.  

Here is a sample of my data:

jsullivan928_0-1692890306965.png

Here is the attempt to add a Custom Calculated Column and the formula I used:

jsullivan928_1-1692890542212.png

Here is the error message I get when I click OK as I think it should work as I do't have a syntax error so I know the formula is correct. 

jsullivan928_2-1692890622968.png

Any suggestions would be helpful. I tried writing the formula in SQL as well and that did not work as I tried it with a CASE WHEN statement. I tried looking up the PQL language and that was not helpful as I am unfamiliar with that language as well. 

Should I try adding a column in the report itself instead of the actual table? Any suggestions would be helpful. I an a novice/moderate BI user trying to learn and expand my knowledge. Also I want to do this with several of the datasets in this query so if I can get this one which I think should be simple I can do it for the other columns I need to do it with. Thank you in advance. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @jsullivan928 

Please create calculated column with Switch statement in Power BI desktop, not in Power Query.

Thanks
Pijush

View solution in original post

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @jsullivan928 ,

Switch is a DAX expression. And currently you are in M query.

If you want to continue working in M Query, use the If-else statement.

If you want to continue using Switch, use the dax in a calculated column.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @jsullivan928 ,

Switch is a DAX expression. And currently you are in M query.

If you want to continue working in M Query, use the If-else statement.

If you want to continue using Switch, use the dax in a calculated column.

PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @jsullivan928 

Please create calculated column with Switch statement in Power BI desktop, not in Power Query.

Thanks
Pijush

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors