Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Decimal to Text

Hello everybody,

I am trying to load an Excel-Sheet into Dataverse, with a variety of Datatypes, via Dataflow. But i want to load all off them as plain text. All transformational steps should be happening on a later/second data flow.
But when I load a column, that contains decimal numbers, they are receiving unwanted decimal places. This leads to crashing my second dataflow.

The way powerquery shows preview (and the way it should be)

Bellideus_0-1631902203301.png

How the data is stored in Dataverse

Bellideus_1-1631902272261.png

For example 291,15 => 291,14999999999998

How to avoid this unwanted transformation?
Thanks all

12 REPLIES 12
COWA
Frequent Visitor

Ever find a solution?  I have the same thing.
Reading a a column in Excel that can either have number or text.

Reading in some of the number it just adds decimal places

ex. 2209.2 in Excel becomes 2209.1999999999998

funny thing is the next line is 2209.3 and it becomes 2209.3000000000002

happens again for 2211.2 and 2211.3 in the same way.

But all the other rows are fine.  Bizare.  

angai97

Hi Bellidues, 

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am running into the same issue where my excel data sheet will show 4 decimal places, but when I loaded it into PowerBI, it will show as having 9+ decimal places. 

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power BI has a data type automatic detection function, it will automatically detect the data type of the data when you import the data. You can turn it off in the options.

2.png

If you only want to change the data type to text format, you can modify it in Power Query or in Desktop.

3.png4.png

Tips: Power Query detects at most the eighth decimal place. You can refer to the following test.

6.png

7.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You for Your replay,

I had the auto detection allready turned off. In Power Query everything looks fine (in Datatype "Any") But when I run the Dataflow, the decimal places appear in the table out of nowhere.

When I Change the Datatype to "Text", the decimal places appear allready in the Query.

It is drving me nuts, I dont want it to do any transformation, just keep plain text without altering it 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Because the data flow is managed in Power BI Service, the automatic detection you turn off is only in Power BI Desktop. You may need to modify the data type.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is PowerApps Dataflow, so the option for Auto detect should be applicable. I am not working with Power BI in any kind. (Maybe another Subforum would have been more suiteable)

Seems to be the same Problem here.
Power-Query-Power-BI-Problem-with-Decimals 

=>Cant change anything in the Source-Excel
=>Need to import as Text/String
=>Cant Round a String
=>Need to convert on a second Dataflow to Number

Wouldn't have thought this to be so exotic 😞

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Maybe Number.Round with 2 decimal places?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen this formular earlier, but round ist not really working on text? Or do you mean on the secound flow, that is converting the "long text value" into an actual decimal?
How can i include this formula in converting text to rounded decimal?

@Anonymous Well, in Power Query the way it is shown is that it is either text or numeric (ABC 123) in header. So, maybe doing an explicit transformation to text would be the answer so that the header shows just ABC. You could potentially do the Round before the transformation to text but it may not be necessary if you explicitly transform it to text.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transforming from "Any" to "text" does not help. But the decimal places appear allready in the Query, instead of only in the data table.

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Looks like you have some floating point math going on there. You should use a round function on the Excel end of things before making it a text value to make sure that the underlying value is truly a whole number, not just being displayed as a whole number. 

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly I cant really change the way the excel comes in.

It gets dropped off by others, and needs to be processed in power query from there

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors