Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LukeWalker
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected...

Receiving the following error on connecting to SharePoint:

DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

This is from the following M code:

let
Source = SharePoint.Files("https://#########.sharepoint.com/sites/#########/")
in
Source

No issues with this query up until a few days ago when the Power BI service refresh began failing. Refresh fails in desktop as well. I've read up on existing support articles, checked I am using TLS 1.2 locally (would not affect the service regardless), and I am unable to find further ideas why this would suddently begin failing. Interestingly, the query does succeed ~10-20% of the time at random. 

I am able to connect to the SharePoint site via the SharePont.Contents function ~50% of the time, but needing to query multiple files from the site. I tried deleting and recreating the data source, no dice.

Version: 2.116.884.0 64-bit (April 2023)

5 REPLIES 5
LukeWalker
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Turned out my issue was just the VPN connection I was on. Once I resolved that, the source started working fine.

This was exactly the reason for me as well. Strange that this is the case, but it did fix it when I logged on to my VPN. Typically in the past just a connection to Sharepoint hasn't required a VPN. 

I had the same issue and connecting to my VPN worked for me. Very odd as usually I don't need to connect to the VPN to connect to Sharepoint through PowerBI.

Phills88

I have exactly the same issue...

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Usually this means your sharepoint is overloaded.  Are you getting a lot of 429s too?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors