Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Apinto64
Frequent Visitor

Data Update on SQL Server using a PowerBI Enterprise Gateway

We define a source data to a SQL Server on a PowerBI Enterprise Gateway with sucess.

But when we try to update the data using the following source data:

let
    Source = Sql.Database("<SQL server>", "<database>", [Query="EXECUTE dbo.ExcelActividadesPrevisãoFaturação @beginDate = '2013-01-01', @endDate = '2022-12-31', @query = 5"])
in
    Source

When we try to update the data we get the follwoing error:

The following exception occurred while the managed IDbConnection interface was being used: The keyword isn't supported: version. Parameter name: keyword. A connection could not be made to the data source with the Name of 'f0f5d6f1-4059-4d39-b324-a7e98bbd9cfc'.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Apinto64 Have you tried dynamically generating the parameters in the stored procedure so you don't have to hardcode them?

For instance. Build a calling sproc that handles the hardcoded parameters or dynamically generate them in Sproc 1, and have sproc 1 call sproc 2.

A psuedo code example:

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.RunExcelActividadesPrevisaoFaturacao

as

declare @begindate date = begindate

declare @enddate date = enddate

declare @query int = 5

Execute dbo.ExcelActividadesPrevisãoFaturação @begindate, @enddate, @query

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dparkinson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Did you get this fixed at all?  I'm getting exactly the same issue at my end.

Thanks.

No! Not yet. I think the problem is executing a SQL stored procedure with paramenters 😞

@Apinto64 Have you tried dynamically generating the parameters in the stored procedure so you don't have to hardcode them?

For instance. Build a calling sproc that handles the hardcoded parameters or dynamically generate them in Sproc 1, and have sproc 1 call sproc 2.

A psuedo code example:

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.RunExcelActividadesPrevisaoFaturacao

as

declare @begindate date = begindate

declare @enddate date = enddate

declare @query int = 5

Execute dbo.ExcelActividadesPrevisãoFaturação @begindate, @enddate, @query

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks, That's a good workaround, hardcoded is limited but its a way to solve it! As you can understand I would like that the Enterprise Gateway had the same behavior as the Personal, accpting the call of a SQL stored procedure with parameters.

Thanks again

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Apinto64 can you please provide some more information? I am guessing you're trying to update from powerbi desktop if you're using source data because you can't manually type in powerbi.com ? But if you are using powerbi desktop then why you need enterprise gateway? 

please provide some more information and then i will be able to help.

Hi

We tried this conection using a Personal Gateway and it worked. When we try to move it to the Enterprise Gateway it give us the error.

The solution was created with Power BI desktop, publish to online and the data update was made usinf Personal Gateway with sucess. When we tried to use our Enterprise gateway it didn't work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors