Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Created tables using DAx doesn't show in Power Query

Hello,

I have created new tables using DAX from tables in the model. I want to merge two of the new tables.When I open Power Query Transform Data, I can't see the tables I have created. I see only the tables imported from data source. 

How can I add these new tables to power query editor? If it is not possible, do you know a Dax command to do that?

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

You cannot. Power Query is a one way street - from source data to the data model. Objects like calculated tables and columns do not show up in Power Query. You have two options here.

1. Create the calculated table in Power Query. You might need to use the Group By functionality on the transform ribbon, then add some custom columns. It depends what you need. Then do the merge.
  2. You cannot merge in DAX, but you can bring values from one table to another in calculated columns using the LOOKUPVALUE() function, which is similar to VLOOKUP in Excel.

#2 is not recommended. If it is a small model it won't matter, but if it is large, over 1M records, you will suffer from the lack of optimized compression calculated columns has. Your best bet is to always shape your data in Power Query or earlier, and leave the DAX model to just do analysis.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

You cannot. Power Query is a one way street - from source data to the data model. Objects like calculated tables and columns do not show up in Power Query. You have two options here.

1. Create the calculated table in Power Query. You might need to use the Group By functionality on the transform ribbon, then add some custom columns. It depends what you need. Then do the merge.
  2. You cannot merge in DAX, but you can bring values from one table to another in calculated columns using the LOOKUPVALUE() function, which is similar to VLOOKUP in Excel.

#2 is not recommended. If it is a small model it won't matter, but if it is large, over 1M records, you will suffer from the lack of optimized compression calculated columns has. Your best bet is to always shape your data in Power Query or earlier, and leave the DAX model to just do analysis.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors