Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

manderson
Frequent Visitor

Couldn't load the data for this visual - Exception raised by the IDbCommand interface

Hi,

I am using the latest version Power BI Desktop.

I have a Direct Query to an SQL Database I have hosted on an Azure machine.

I am getting the following error when I try filtering the data:

Error Message:
Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Latin1_General_CI_AS" in the equal to operation.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

Each table in SQL looks like they have the same collation "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS".

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @manderson,

There are three levels of collation in SQL Server: server collation, database collation, column collation.

In your scenario, if one column in involved tables has different collation as other columns, the above error will occur. I would recommend you use T-SQL to find out collation of database and table columns that imported in Power BI Desktop, and check if there is difference. There is an example for your reference, for more details, please review this blog.

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX('AdventureWorks2014', 'Collation')
GO
/* Find Collation of SQL Server Database Table Column */
USE AdventureWorks2014
GO
SELECT name, collation_name
FROM sys.columns
WHERE OBJECT_ID IN (SELECT OBJECT_ID
FROM sys.objects
WHERE type = 'U')

Here is also a similar blog about the above error for your reference.

http://www.ashishblog.com/how-to-resolve-the-collation-conflict-and-how-to-check-collate-in-sql-serv...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @manderson,

There are three levels of collation in SQL Server: server collation, database collation, column collation.

In your scenario, if one column in involved tables has different collation as other columns, the above error will occur. I would recommend you use T-SQL to find out collation of database and table columns that imported in Power BI Desktop, and check if there is difference. There is an example for your reference, for more details, please review this blog.

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX('AdventureWorks2014', 'Collation')
GO
/* Find Collation of SQL Server Database Table Column */
USE AdventureWorks2014
GO
SELECT name, collation_name
FROM sys.columns
WHERE OBJECT_ID IN (SELECT OBJECT_ID
FROM sys.objects
WHERE type = 'U')

Here is also a similar blog about the above error for your reference.

http://www.ashishblog.com/how-to-resolve-the-collation-conflict-and-how-to-check-collate-in-sql-serv...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your help Lydia @v-yuezhe-msft, that identified the columns that had incorrect collation no problem at all.

For any one else who has this problem, I used this post: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190920.aspx to change the collation to the correct one, using the code:

ALTER TABLE dbo.MyTable ALTER COLUMN CharCol  
            varchar(10)COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL;  
GO  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors