Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dion-NZ
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to a IBM DB2 Data Source

Hi all,

The company I work for has some data stored with a third party that is using a IBM DB2 database, and I'm hoping to get that data imported into my Power BI reports. I also want them connected in a way that after I publish to the Power BI cloud service, I can schedule automatic refreshes and it pulls new data from that source.

In Power BI Desktop, I've tried the built-in IBM Db2 database source in 'Get Data'... I enter the Server IP address (along with the port number), followed by the database name in the field below - leaving it on Import mode and the Driver as Microsoft. Next, I select the Database credentials tab, enter the credentials for the database then hit Connect.

The first time I try with these credentials I get an Encryption Support pop-up that states...

We were unable to connect to the data source using an encrypted connection. To access this data source using an unencrypted connection, click OK.

Is there anyway to rectify this on my end?

Anyway, if I click OK it tries to connect for a while... but eventual fails with an Unable to connect msesage that states:

We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "Microsoft Db2 Client: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond <servername:port> SQLSTATE=08S01 SQLCODE=-1037"

I've tried researching this, but can't find any recent reports of this working. Does it still definitely work? Do I need something else installed on my machine? And if so, how would that work once I publish the data set and connection to the cloud service for automatic refresh?

Hopefully someone can help... I'm also itnerested to know if a ODBC connection would work better, how I would set that up, and if  that would be compatible for the auto refresh in the cloud service.

Thanks!!

1 REPLY 1
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dion-NZ ,

If you cannot connect to IBM DB2 in power bi desktop, please make sure the instance is running on the server. TCP /IP services are started on remote DB2 server. Port number is correct and it's open on server.

You can refer this simliar issue:

Issue connecting Power BI Desktop to IBM DB2 database 

If you want to connect it by ODBC, you can refer these documents which introdcues it in details:

1. Connecting to IBM DB2 for i (ODBC) 
  2. Configuring a DB2 ODBC Data Source Name 

In addition, when you have any new error codes during debugging, you can refer to this document to check:

SQL error codes- IBM 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors