Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

seanjmorris
Regular Visitor

Clustered Bar Chart with Unpivoted Data - Combining Two Types of Data

Hello 

I have a single table (See "Activities by lead agency") that has information about which agency is the lead and any other agencies that are involved. In order to make the second green graph I unpivoted the agency columns. Both of the tables are in the data model and they're linked via the ID column. My question is how can I combine these two graphs so that, the PQR agency - for example - would have a green bar chart showing that it is involved in 8 projects and a blue bar indicating that it's leading 4 projects. 

seanjmorris_0-1635886978693.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Keep the unpivoted table (you can get rid of the other one) and create a relationship from Agency to LeadAgency and another (inactive) relationship from Agency to InvolvedAgency.

The CountLead measure stays the same but the SumInvolved has to activate the inactive relationship:

SumInvolved =
VAR CurrAgency = VALUES ( dimAgency[Agency] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Unpivoted[Value] ),
        Unpivoted[Involved Agency] IN CurrAgency,
        USERELATIONSHIP ( Unpivoted[Involved Agency], DimAgency[Agency] )
    )

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You should be able to use the unpivoted version for both. Distinct count of Local Agency for the blue bars and sum of Value for the green bars.

@AlexisOlson . That doesn't seem to have worked. When I throw in the distinct count of Lead Agency from the Unpivoted data, it's showing me that PQR is in 3 times and DEF is in 4. PQR should be in 4 times and DEF should be in twice. Any other tips?  

seanjmorris_0-1635953129354.png

You're right. It isn't that simple. The problem is that whichever agency column you for the axis will make things difficult to calculate for the other one.

I'd recommend creating a dimension table with one row for each agency that appears in either column and then using that table's column for the x-axis. Then you can define both measures using the dimension table for filter context.

For example:

CountLead =
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( Unpivoted[ID] ),
        Unpivoted[Lead Agency] IN CurrAgency
    )

SumInvolved =
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        Unpivoted[Involved Agency] IN CurrAgency
    )

@AlexisOlson. Thanks for your help on this. That solution did work in my simple example where I had a dim table that wasn't linked to the rest of my data, but now I need to make it more complicated. I'm actually already using a dim table with my agencies, and I've linked that dim table to my "LeadAgencies" Table by the Lead Agency. When I do that, the formula for SumInvolved doesn't seem to work. Any more pointers? 

seanjmorris_0-1636207493837.png

Keep the unpivoted table (you can get rid of the other one) and create a relationship from Agency to LeadAgency and another (inactive) relationship from Agency to InvolvedAgency.

The CountLead measure stays the same but the SumInvolved has to activate the inactive relationship:

SumInvolved =
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        Unpivoted[Involved Agency] IN CurrAgency,
        USERELATIONSHIP ( Unpivoted[Involved Agency], DimAgency[Agency] )
    )

@AlexisOlson That did the trick! Thank you!

Now can i get your advice for how to learn Dax like you? 🙂 I still don't really understand how your calculate function works. 

seanjmorris_0-1636293306854.png

CALCULATE is a tool to modify the context a calculation is performed in. Typically, it modifies the filter context via column and table filter arguments but there are a few additional functions that work in conjunction with it: USERELATIONSHIP, CROSSFILTER, REMOVEFILTERS, and KEEPFILTERS.

It's a pretty complicated function and the SQLBI guys devote a whole chapter to CALCULATE in their book The Definitive Guide to DAX. They have a shorter version here:
https://www.sqlbi.com/blog/marco/2010/01/03/how-calculate-works-in-dax/

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors