Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

auglfc
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can't connect to multiple Power BI Datasets

I can't add more than one Power BI dataset to my report.

All datasets are in the same workspace and all created by me. I am able to connect to many Datasets in Excel, but not in Power BI Desktop.

Steps:

1. Create a new report and add a Power BI Dataset. 

2. Started adding another Power BI Dataset and get prompted to Add a Local model, then click on Add a Local Model and hit submit

3. Select a new dataset to add to the report, hit create, then submit, then I get prompted to login to my O365 account, which is odd since I'm already connected and just added another Power BI Dataset under the same workspace.

4. After I login with my credentials I got the error message: Unable to Connect We encountered an error while trying to connect. Details: "We could not connect to the Analysis Services server because the connection timed out or the server name is incorrect."

5. I am able to add this same Power BI dataset if I add it first, but not able to add a second Power BI Dataset (either to a fresh report or an existing one)

auglfc_0-1650562829199.png

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have logged this as an issue as it appears to be a bug with the Power BI software following an update: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Can-t-connect-to-multiple-Power-BI-datasets/idi-p/2475115

Please upvote and let's see if they can offer a fix for this.

View solution in original post

auglfc
Advocate I
Advocate I

Seems like the issue has been fixed. Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
auglfc
Advocate I
Advocate I

Seems like the issue has been fixed. Thanks everyone!

Sundaynero
Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to let you know that I just tried again and now it's working fine. I haven't changed anything in my settings so I guess that whatever was causing this error has been fixed by Microsoft.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have logged this as an issue as it appears to be a bug with the Power BI software following an update: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Can-t-connect-to-multiple-Power-BI-datasets/idi-p/2475115

Please upvote and let's see if they can offer a fix for this.

Sundaynero
Frequent Visitor

I just noticed the same problem , seeing the same error message. I have a .pbix file in Direct Query mode connecting to several datasets stored in a Power BI Service workspace. Everything worked fine, but now I'm unable to add more datasets to the report.

Could it be this is due to the desktop update in April? Nothing else has been changed in this file nor in Power Bi service workspace.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have same issue ,i take another datset from power bi serivces,but it is disable to me 

yuvara
Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same issue. It was working perfectly last week. May be after updating to the latest version of Power BI Desktop, I am facing this issue

jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello -  

To add the second you will need to do so using direct query and that has to be enabled for the tenant.  Do you know if that has been done?  Here is more information on that process as well as the capabilities and limitations and other solutions that may help you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s... 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-discover-across-workspaces 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Can-a-Report-use-Multiple-Datasets/m-p/521624 

Thanks for replying, but I've looked at those articles before. 

The preview feature is enabled otherwise I wouldn't be able to go all the way to the end of the process of choosing the second dataset.

I am also able to do it in Excel (can add many PowerBI Datasets), but in Power BI I get the error message below when I'm adding the second dataset.

auglfc_0-1650572664876.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue as you here. It previously worked perfectly until this week, now it is resulting in the same error. We have also followed all steps in the articles suggested.

Could this be a wider issue with Power BI? The 'Unable to connect' message appears instantly so shouldn't be because the connection timed out. Also, the server and database name was generated automatically by Power BI so surely wouldn't be incorrect.

JamieS_0-1650625281402.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors