Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adamgold

Adding a step in Power Query (desktop) breaks query folding when source is a dataflow

I am attempting to pull a number of dataflows into my dataset via Power Query desktop. Since I'm using premium and have enabled the enhanced compute engine, I should be able to fold the queries. And in fact I can if I just do a basic pull operation like the one below without the Rename step.

But as soon as I add that rename step in, it seemingly breaks the query folding, as View Native Query is now disabled on that last step. Does anyone know why this would be or if there's a work-around?

adamgold_0-1669835393594.png

3 REPLIES 3
adamgold61

Hi @v-yalanwu-msft,

I found that if I instead use the PowerPlatform.Dataflows connector, then I can add steps (or at least basic steps), without breaking the query folding. But unfortunately when I try to use the PowerPlatform.Dataflows connector, I can't seem to get it to work with my parameter that points to the desired workspace.

Take a look at the Advanced Editor to see the different navigation steps. You can insert one or more text parameters in place of the hard-coded workspaceID, dataflowId, and/or entity.

Pat

Microsoft Employee
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @adamgold ;

it’s important that we try to maintain query folding for as long as possible, but paying particular attention to what actions ‘break’ folding (and shifting them to the end).

Query Folding with Value.NativeQuery() – Wise Data Decisions

Don’t let date columns ruin query folding in Power BI – Data – Marc (data-marc.com)

vyalanwumsft_0-1669883092531.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors