Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DelvidioNeto
Regular Visitor

Your version of Power BI Desktop does not support this custom visual

Hi.

I develop my custom visual in the "Visual API v3.2.0", but my Power BI desktop RS is version 2.105.1143.0 64-bit (may 2022).
I know I should downgrade to the compatible api, but I don't know what version it's, or how to downgrade it.
Can someone help me?

4 REPLIES 4
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

If you developed your custom visual using Visual API v3.2.0, you will need to downgrade your Power BI Desktop RS to a version that is compatible with this API. To do this, you will need to follow the steps below:

1. Go to the Microsoft Download Center and download the version of Power BI Desktop RS that is compatible with Visual API v3.2.0. You can find the list of compatible versions in the Microsoft documentation.

2. Once you have downloaded the compatible version, uninstall your current version of Power BI Desktop RS. To do this, go to the Control Panel, click on Programs and Features, find Power BI Desktop RS in the list of installed programs, right-click on it, and select Uninstall.

3. Once you have uninstalled Power BI Desktop RS, install the compatible version that you downloaded in step 1.

4. Open your custom visual project in Visual Studio and make sure that the target version of the project matches the version of Power BI Desktop RS that you have installed.

5. Build your custom visual project and test it in Power BI Desktop RS to ensure that it works correctly.

By following these steps, you should be able to downgrade your Power BI Desktop RS to a compatible version and continue developing your custom visual with Visual API v3.2.0.

DelvidioNeto
Regular Visitor

So I updated to version 4.6.0, beacause the version 4.5.0 doen't exist in npm. But still my Visual is incompatible with Power Bi Rs.

What am I doing wrong?

Look my dependence to Package.json and the error message in power bi. 

Package.json

},
  "dependencies": {
    "@types/d3": "5.7.2",
    "d3": "5.12.0",
    "powerbi-visuals-api": "^4.6.0",
    "powerbi-visuals-utils-dataviewutils": "^3.0.0",
    "powerbi-visuals-utils-formattingmodel": "^5.0.0"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "ts-loader": "6.1.0",
    "tslint": "^5.18.0",
    "tslint-microsoft-contrib": "^6.2.0",
    "typescript": "3.6.3"
  }

Error:

DelvidioNeto_0-1680096688111.png

Hi @DelvidioNeto,

I don't have Power BI Report Server to be able to test myself, but I would say that if 4.5.0 is not available in npm, then it would be better to use 4.4.0 (you wouldn't be able to use 4.6.0 until September 2022 RS, which supports up to 4.7.0 according to the release notes).

If this is still not working for you I would suggest you contact the visuals team directly for support as per previous post - pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @DelvidioNeto,

The report server release notes state the version of the API packaged with each release, and from looking at May 2022, it should contain version 4.5.0 of the visuals API.

Depending on the version of tools you're using to build, it might actually need to be that you upgrade the API rather than downgrade, as recent powerbi-visuals-tools versions (>= 3.3.0) appear to have some dependencies on the API being above a certain version.

If you think your setup is OK based on this info, it's probably better directly contacting the team for support, as they don't actively monitor the forums - pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.