Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

biographer

Using rest api to export csv file from normal powerbi dashboard instead of paginated report

Dear PowerBI community,

This is my very first time post a ticket in the community, please forgive my unprofessionalism. 

My work requires me to export all 100 + reports monthly to csv format, normally i would go into each report and click on the export the report into csv format.

Recently we have found out that we could potentially use rest API to do it. However, the issue with this approach is that, based on the power bi api documentation, it only supports to export dashboard to csv if it is paginated report

I have tried to convert my current dashboards to paginated report, but then realize it is almost impossible because too much of the work. And i have tried to use the api to export, but like the document suggested, it does not really help to export the dashboard pages to csv format. 

May I ask if there is anything I am missing that could help me to export the csv format file from the power bi dashboard?

(I am aware that it is possible that we could directly download the csv from the data source, but for each dashboard, there are plenty of changes made in the desktop version and published to the report, therefore if i directly download from source data file, these changes will be missing) 

Thank you for all kinds of help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @biographer ,

As far as I know, currently Power BI only support us to export paginated reports to csv file by REST API.

If you still want to achieve these, I think you need to trace and analytic the power bi export features to find out the 'request url', header, correspond request tokens, and parameters. Then you can simulation these operations based on scripts or programming languages. (notice: these operations obviously complex than developing on rest api and they required you are familiar with using programming language/script on web development)

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.
You can vote up this idea for this function:Export Data to CSV & xlsx via PowerShell / REST API
Or you can submit a new idea to improve the Power BI.
It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @biographer ,

As far as I know, currently Power BI only support us to export paginated reports to csv file by REST API.

If you still want to achieve these, I think you need to trace and analytic the power bi export features to find out the 'request url', header, correspond request tokens, and parameters. Then you can simulation these operations based on scripts or programming languages. (notice: these operations obviously complex than developing on rest api and they required you are familiar with using programming language/script on web development)

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.
You can vote up this idea for this function:Export Data to CSV & xlsx via PowerShell / REST API
Or you can submit a new idea to improve the Power BI.
It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.