Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SeanAnderson
Regular Visitor

URL Filtering in PowerBI, securely.

I am trying to embed a PowerBI report into a secure portal, using URL filters following the notes at the following website

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-embed-secure#filter-report-conte...

but, if you look at the following URL ...

secure-embed-filter.png

How can I ensure that the user doesn't view the HTML source, retrieve the URL and change the filter to Industry eq 'Finance', for example ... or worse, removing the filter altogether and seeing ALL data.

When I move to my REAL reports, the filters are likely to be a passing across the email address of a user from the client company, so that they see records applicable to that company ... and need to ensure that users of Company A don't have easy access to records of Company B.

RLS is not a realistic option for our scenario, as we have hundreds of reports and thousands of client users.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

URL filters are NOT a security measure. AT ALL. All they do is provide default filters that the user can then change.

If RLS is not an option for you then you need to provision separate apps per customer.  They can still feed off the same shared dataset so you can do data maintenance in one place.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

URL filters are NOT a security measure. AT ALL. All they do is provide default filters that the user can then change.

If RLS is not an option for you then you need to provision separate apps per customer.  They can still feed off the same shared dataset so you can do data maintenance in one place.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.