Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

manumanu
Regular Visitor

The request was blocked by DoSP PowerBI REST API

Hi,

I have a DataFactory pipeline that sends a few HTTP requests to the PowerBI REST API, but sometime ago it started giving me the following error:

The request was blocked by DoSP

I can understand that it's a Denial of Service Protection. However, sometimes it fails on the first request.

We do have some of the requests inside a loop, to check when the PowerBI refresh is completed, but there's a 5min wait between them, so I don't understand why the DoSP is firing. 

The Pipeline in question: 

Capture.JPG

The loop part:

Capture2.JPG 

Cheers,

Manuel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Found a thread about this issue: https://www.moderndata.ai/2019/05/powerbi-dataset-refresh-using-adf/ 

Marius got a reply from Microsoft

"Marius

Hi agian everyone.

So, I have been in touch with Microsoft, and this is actually a known issue.

This is what I got as an answer:
It is a known issue from Power BI end.

Product Team is still working on this issue. But I want to collect few traces from your end and share with them.

The cause of this issue is certain IP of ADF Azure integration runtime (IR) in your region is blocked due to PowerBI’s Dos Protection mechanism.

They have provided a workaround for this issue:
We could use Azure IR (Integration runtime) in other regions(outside of existing one) or use a selfhosted IR in web activity to the temporarily workaround this issue.

So, we had a selfhosted IR in our ADF, and when I switched to this it workes like a charm again. This you need to change in the “Call Dataset Refresh” component in the ADF pipeline.

Best regards
Marius"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jvanegmond
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same issue here, I have a daily job that get Power BI metadata from admin/groups, admin/dataflows etc. Since 10th of August they started failing with this message:

{"error":{"message":"The request was blocked by DoSP <ClientEndpoint=XX.XX.XX.XXX:XXXXX>"}}

Found a thread about this issue: https://www.moderndata.ai/2019/05/powerbi-dataset-refresh-using-adf/ 

Marius got a reply from Microsoft

"Marius

Hi agian everyone.

So, I have been in touch with Microsoft, and this is actually a known issue.

This is what I got as an answer:
It is a known issue from Power BI end.

Product Team is still working on this issue. But I want to collect few traces from your end and share with them.

The cause of this issue is certain IP of ADF Azure integration runtime (IR) in your region is blocked due to PowerBI’s Dos Protection mechanism.

They have provided a workaround for this issue:
We could use Azure IR (Integration runtime) in other regions(outside of existing one) or use a selfhosted IR in web activity to the temporarily workaround this issue.

So, we had a selfhosted IR in our ADF, and when I switched to this it workes like a charm again. This you need to change in the “Call Dataset Refresh” component in the ADF pipeline.

Best regards
Marius"

Thanks, this makes total sense.

Thankfully we already have an SelfHosted IR, so I'll use that one instead.

Thanks for the help!

Nice, thanks

joost_romijn
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue. 

How is this Issue resolved?

Hey!

We resolved this issue by sending the http request using a SelfHosted Integration Runtime. This fixes the issue since the IP of the machine is sending only a few requests to the PowerBI Service and it's an IP address only for us.

When you or anyone else uses the Azure Integration Runtime (the default setting) there's probably several thousand requests being sent to PowerBI using the same IP address. So when a threshold is reached, PowerBI service starts blocking those IPs.

Thanks for reply,but for SelfHosted IR we need additional virtual machine .

I tried creating new Azure IR with Different region but still getting  error, due to which our lot of customer are getting impacted 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors