Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

IAM
Helper III
Helper III

SQL connection with IP address authentication

Hi all,

I got access to a database, so I can connect my Power BI report.

The developer asked for my IP address, and I cannot connect from any other address. My question is, what happens after I connect? Is it just a onetime thing, or can we get problems when I take my laptop somewhere and get a different IP address?

2 REPLIES 2
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @IAM - it is bit unusual to limit access to database based on IP address.  This is normally control via User name and Passwords (or SSO).  It is likely that you are referring to network security rules and whitelisting of IP address.  Change to your IP address will impact you ability to access the database.  It will be better to provide a range of IP addresses to whitelist.  Are you planning to import the data using the Power BI Web Service as this will require a Data Gateway, which will have different IP addresses.  I hope this helps.

Thank you Daryl! I was confused too, but I am afraid we have to do it like this.

Is there a place where I can find the range of IP addresses?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.