Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

R script Getting Error Unable to translate bytes

Hello All,

I am trying to ger the twitter data using R script in power bi desktop.

Here is the script that i have used to get the twitter data.

library(twitteR)
source("authenticate.R")
tweets <- searchTwitter("Virat",n = 100,lang = "en")
tweetsdf <- twListToDF(tweets)

Details: "Unable to translate bytes [ED][A0] at index 127 from specified code page to Unicode."

 

It is running fine and am able to get the tweets in R studio, but not in Power Bi R script.

 

Please suggest me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KumarDarmesh

 

I have solved this issue by using stringi package.

here is the script that i have used.

 

library(twitteR)
library(stringi)

tweets <- searchTwitter(search_term, number_of_tweets )
#convert received data to something PowerBi understands
df_tweets <- twListToDF(tweets)

#column clean
df_tweets$text <- stri_encode(df_tweets$text, "", "UTF-8")

It cleans the column which are not understandable.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KumarDarmesh
Helper IV
Helper IV

Could you post the completed code? I did download the twitteR and OATH package, however not yet to run your R script.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KumarDarmesh

 

I have solved this issue by using stringi package.

here is the script that i have used.

 

library(twitteR)
library(stringi)

tweets <- searchTwitter(search_term, number_of_tweets )
#convert received data to something PowerBi understands
df_tweets <- twListToDF(tweets)

#column clean
df_tweets$text <- stri_encode(df_tweets$text, "", "UTF-8")

It cleans the column which are not understandable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

 

I am using the same R library to extract tweets in powerBI . My R script is working fine when the search_term is hardcoded. But when I am trying to create an invoked function to pass the search_term as a parameter it gives the following error. 

 

An error occurred in the ‘’ query. DataSource.Error: ADO.NET: R script error.
During startup - Warning message:
In setJsonDatabasePath(system.file("extdata/capabilities.json",  :
  bytecode version mismatch; using eval
Error: unexpected symbol in:
"rScriptWrapper_options = getOption('save.image.defaults')
save(list = rScriptWrapper_dataFrames, file = "globalEnv.rdata"
Execution halted

Details:
    DataSourceKind=R
    DataSourcePath=R
    Message=R script error.
During startup - Warning message:
In setJsonDatabasePath(system.file("extdata/capabilities.json",  :
  bytecode version mismatch; using eval
Error: unexpected symbol in:
"rScriptWrapper_options = getOption('save.image.defaults')
save(list = rScriptWrapper_dataFrames, file = "globalEnv.rdata"
Execution halted

    ErrorCode=-2147467259
    ExceptionType=Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.R.Exceptions.RScriptRuntimeException

I am very new to PowerBI and hence trying a  lot to solve this issue. I really appreciate any suggestion regarding this. I am also attaching the R script for creating the invoked function.

(Name as text) as table=>
let
    
  Source = R.Execute(" #(lf)   library(twitteR)
                         #(lf)   library(stringi)
                         #(lf)   consumer_key <- ""8R96HfpMmwog1w4V0f6HrfwS9"" 
                         #(lf)   consumer_secret <- ""Smun1VSNdn30P5HfvAJ4AR8XSmqOevkGCvwQ2RJpXrHptRTEui""
                         #(lf)   access_token <- ""1306483171-2I5rsnK7AvYStXEja7lDu9AAI7ftuv6CvcbhhW0""
                         #(lf)   access_secret <- ""SlsagLzQfoaE0VzocM6ycFLqSk0PtImwekwENZt339yej""
                         #(lf)   setup_twitter_oauth(consumer_key, consumer_secret, access_token, access_secret)
                         #(lf)   str1 <- ""#""
                         #(lf)   str2 <- ""&Name&""   (passing parameter here)
                         #(lf)   search_term <- paste(str1,str2,sep="") 
                         #(lf)   number_of_tweets <- 100
                         #(lf)   language <-'en'
                         #(lf)   tweets <- searchTwitter(search_term, number_of_tweets,language)
                         #(lf)   df_tweets <- twListToDF(tweets)
                         #(lf)   df_tweets <- df_tweets[,c('text','favorited','favoriteCount','created','retweetCount',
                                                                                              'isRetweet','retweeted')]
                         #(lf)   df_tweets$text <- stri_encode(df_tweets$text, '', 'UTF-8')"),
    df_tweets1 = Source{[Name="df_tweets"]}[Value]
in
    df_tweets1

Thank you.

 

 

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.