Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

R script Getting Error Unable to translate bytes

Hello All,

I am trying to ger the twitter data using R script in power bi desktop.

Here is the script that i have used to get the twitter data.

library(twitteR)
source("authenticate.R")
tweets <- searchTwitter("Virat",n = 100,lang = "en")
tweetsdf <- twListToDF(tweets)

Details: "Unable to translate bytes [ED][A0] at index 127 from specified code page to Unicode."

 

It is running fine and am able to get the tweets in R studio, but not in Power Bi R script.

 

Please suggest me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KumarDarmesh

 

I have solved this issue by using stringi package.

here is the script that i have used.

 

library(twitteR)
library(stringi)

tweets <- searchTwitter(search_term, number_of_tweets )
#convert received data to something PowerBi understands
df_tweets <- twListToDF(tweets)

#column clean
df_tweets$text <- stri_encode(df_tweets$text, "", "UTF-8")

It cleans the column which are not understandable.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KumarDarmesh
Helper IV
Helper IV

Could you post the completed code? I did download the twitteR and OATH package, however not yet to run your R script.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KumarDarmesh

 

I have solved this issue by using stringi package.

here is the script that i have used.

 

library(twitteR)
library(stringi)

tweets <- searchTwitter(search_term, number_of_tweets )
#convert received data to something PowerBi understands
df_tweets <- twListToDF(tweets)

#column clean
df_tweets$text <- stri_encode(df_tweets$text, "", "UTF-8")

It cleans the column which are not understandable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

 

I am using the same R library to extract tweets in powerBI . My R script is working fine when the search_term is hardcoded. But when I am trying to create an invoked function to pass the search_term as a parameter it gives the following error. 

 

An error occurred in the ‘’ query. DataSource.Error: ADO.NET: R script error.
During startup - Warning message:
In setJsonDatabasePath(system.file("extdata/capabilities.json",  :
  bytecode version mismatch; using eval
Error: unexpected symbol in:
"rScriptWrapper_options = getOption('save.image.defaults')
save(list = rScriptWrapper_dataFrames, file = "globalEnv.rdata"
Execution halted

Details:
    DataSourceKind=R
    DataSourcePath=R
    Message=R script error.
During startup - Warning message:
In setJsonDatabasePath(system.file("extdata/capabilities.json",  :
  bytecode version mismatch; using eval
Error: unexpected symbol in:
"rScriptWrapper_options = getOption('save.image.defaults')
save(list = rScriptWrapper_dataFrames, file = "globalEnv.rdata"
Execution halted

    ErrorCode=-2147467259
    ExceptionType=Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.R.Exceptions.RScriptRuntimeException

I am very new to PowerBI and hence trying a  lot to solve this issue. I really appreciate any suggestion regarding this. I am also attaching the R script for creating the invoked function.

(Name as text) as table=>
let
    
  Source = R.Execute(" #(lf)   library(twitteR)
                         #(lf)   library(stringi)
                         #(lf)   consumer_key <- ""8R96HfpMmwog1w4V0f6HrfwS9"" 
                         #(lf)   consumer_secret <- ""Smun1VSNdn30P5HfvAJ4AR8XSmqOevkGCvwQ2RJpXrHptRTEui""
                         #(lf)   access_token <- ""1306483171-2I5rsnK7AvYStXEja7lDu9AAI7ftuv6CvcbhhW0""
                         #(lf)   access_secret <- ""SlsagLzQfoaE0VzocM6ycFLqSk0PtImwekwENZt339yej""
                         #(lf)   setup_twitter_oauth(consumer_key, consumer_secret, access_token, access_secret)
                         #(lf)   str1 <- ""#""
                         #(lf)   str2 <- ""&Name&""   (passing parameter here)
                         #(lf)   search_term <- paste(str1,str2,sep="") 
                         #(lf)   number_of_tweets <- 100
                         #(lf)   language <-'en'
                         #(lf)   tweets <- searchTwitter(search_term, number_of_tweets,language)
                         #(lf)   df_tweets <- twListToDF(tweets)
                         #(lf)   df_tweets <- df_tweets[,c('text','favorited','favoriteCount','created','retweetCount',
                                                                                              'isRetweet','retweeted')]
                         #(lf)   df_tweets$text <- stri_encode(df_tweets$text, '', 'UTF-8')"),
    df_tweets1 = Source{[Name="df_tweets"]}[Value]
in
    df_tweets1

Thank you.

 

 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.