Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cuongle
Advocate II
Advocate II

New Power BI Embedded pricing model - page render

I am not sure I understand totally the term *page render* in new Power BI Embedded pricing model.

Power BI.PNG

We need to measure how often our clients load Power BI in order to charge them properly. But we still got the confusion how page render is counted under the hood.

From the definition:

A page render is counted any time Power BI visuals are loaded on a page. A page refresh counts as a page render, as does any other page interactivity, like slice and dice, filtering, etc. Typically, multiple queries running on the backend cores translate to a page render.

How we can understand Page Render in both cases Import and Direct Query mode for Report Embedding.

Scenario 1 with import mode:

Assume one page in our application *embeds an report with import mode*. This report has 2 tabs inside and each tab has 5 visual. So, this report has 10 visuals in total.

How many page render if user visits this page: 1 render (based on the whole report), or 2 (based on 2 tabs), or 10 (based on 10 visuals).

If user switches between two tabs in the report, is there any page render is counted?

Now assume there is datetime slicer in the tab 1, if user use this slicer to do filtering. One render is counted on this case?

Scenario 2 with direct query:

The same with the scenario 1 with direct query report.

8 REPLIES 8
mghpbi

Many years after the original question was posted, I am still looking for an answer as the documentation is not clear. Would any one from Microsoft team respond and clarify what counts as page render? In my case, I have an embedded report with A1 capacity that is connected to Direct Query mode which refreshes every 10 second. I wonder if any page refresh is counted only as one render or the count of renders = the number of visuals/filters * 10 per each page refresh?

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@cuongle

Thanks for your reporting, we'll consult the product team for more clarfication about the page renders.

By the way, as to peak hour page renders, when exceeding the maxium, it doesn't mean your reports won't be rendered any more, see below clarification.

• There're no hard limit. In peak time when there are too many requests exceeding the limit, request will get queued and end customer will experience performance degradation (page render will take more time)

Hi @Eric_Zhang

Did you get any answer from product team?

Thanks

@cuongle

The response from the product team is 

“page renders” are just a rough guideline, not an actual resource or limit. Therefore, it is not productive to get too detailed about what counts as a page render and what doesn’t.

The only limited resources in capacity are CPU, memory, and DirectQuery queries. Slicing, filtering, etc. will take up CPU and memory. If the dataset is DirectQuery, it will also take up DirectQuery queries.

First of all who ever made the comment "Therefore, it is not productive to get too detailed about what counts as a page render and what doesn’t."  Does not understand it from customer perspective.  

The reason we ask is because we need to know how to build our reports better.  Though there is no limits, if we are on A1, and in a given day at our peak time of Noon, we hit the 300 page renders by 1215, then  all other renders of the page will become slower, causing an impact to our customers and our brand.   

So trying to better understand how page rendering works is very valuable as we do our design of application and our reports.  

So please have the product team improve their answers.

Best Regards

@asadhkhan That's a valid point.

@Eric_Zhang Is there a guideline that says how to build our reports without causing slowness to the end users because of the limitation we setup on server? Do we have a best practice document? Even from a costing perspective for an organization with 1000+ dashboard users, how do we choose the plan? All of this can be done only if someone clearly defines the page renders. This question has not been answered for so many years and Microsoft Product Development team has a responsibility to respond to customers.

Regards

Jayashree 

Thanks @Eric_Zhang

I understand your point, it would be great if we have clear understanding on page render on the new Power Bi Embedded.

Hi @cuongle  did you manage to have your question answered?

Also wondering what counts as a page render... "how many page render if user visits this page: 1 render (based on the whole report), or 2 (based on 2 tabs), or 10 (based on 10 visuals)."

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors