Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

IBGuy35
Frequent Visitor

Issues Generating R-based HTML Widget Visual

Hello Community!

I'm currently attempting to create a bubble map with a layer underneath of custom regions via a geojson file (or a shapefile). I saw Azure maps and created the visual I wanted, but I do not want to pay for it unless necessary. I have also tried the Icon map custom visual, but it doesn't quite have the functionality I'm looking for.

To circumnavigate this, I am attempting to use R to generate an interactive plotly visual, using this blog post as a guide: https://radacad.com/interactive-map-using-r-and-power-bi-create-custom-visual-part-1

However, having followed the instructions, I find myself at a dead end. I'm able to download the relevant files, install the package as well as the visual in PBI itself, but when I include the visual in a report I get the following output:

IBGuy35_2-1675476713385.png

So I have 2 questions:

First, how can I troubleshoot the custom visual I am using here? How can I determine what the issue is? I've tested to make sure the data was included, which it is.

Second, is there an free custom visual that will allow me to put a local geojson file as a layer underneath a traditional bubble map with the capacity to include size, category, and non-summarized lat/long coordinates?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

6 REPLIES 6
j-murray
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Unfortunately, this is a known (to some) issue with pbiviz versions 4.0.6+. I struggled with this same issue and eventually realized the rhtml powerbi-visuals-tools template simply doesn't work in the more recent versions. I have a couple posts that dicuss this issue: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Development/RHTML-Template-Blank-not-rendering-issue...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/Issue-with-R-plotly-in-pbiviz-versions-4-0-6/m-p/2940046

The short answer is you need to re-install powerbi-visuals-tools and specify you want version 4.0.5 (powerbi-visuals-tools@4.0.5 instead of @latest), then you should be able to create a working visual by following along the guide you linked.

Hope this helps!

IBGuy35
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Thanks for your reply! I've tried it out, but it looks as though it requires the learning of Vega/Vega lite. While I am trying it out, I would still like help figuring out why the custom visual outputs a blank graphic. Do you know how I can go about debugging it? What information can I use to better understand what's happening?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have you considered using Deneb's map features?

Thanks for your reply! I've tried it out, but it looks as though it requires the learning of Vega/Vega lite. While I am trying it out, I would still like help figuring out why the custom visual outputs a blank graphic. Do you know how I can go about debugging it? What information can I use to better understand what's happening?

A blank visual usually means that you are attempting to use your own renderer (plotting device). That is not supported. See the list of limitations.

Create Power BI visuals using R - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

That makes sense, but then why was the blog I referenced able to work? If we are using the same process (which I imagine means the same renderer), then why might mine fail where they succeed? Is there any log or trace that I can follow to better understand where the hangups might be?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.