Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NandanHegde
Super User
Super User

Get the Authentication type details of datasource creds and report type(Import/ Live)

Hello Team,

I have a requirement wherein the dataset is configured by a different user within the same workspace .

I need to get the below details for that dataset/Report :

1) Whether the report is Import mode or Direct query/ConnectLive without downloading the Report as PBBIX file

2) I need to get the authentication type used by that user in the credentials for the dataset

Powerbi.PNG

I cannot take over the dataset as it might reset the credentials.
So is there any way in PowerBi service / via REST APIs that I might get the above 2 required details.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NandanHegde,

#1, You can use dataset related REST API to check the detailed settings of your dataset data sources information. (you need to get the group id and correspond dataset id to find out the specific data source)

Datasets - Get Datasources In Group 

#2, Please check the following link about 'get gateway Datasource in group' API to extract the specific gateway Datasource configuration:

Datasets - Get Gateway Datasources In Group 

Reference links:

Register an Azure AD application to use with Power BI 

Docs Power BI REST APIs Datasets Overview 

BTW, if you do not have enough permission to execute these rest API, you can also check on power bi audit logs. It also logged a lot of operations of power bi service that you can find out specific information from its logs.

Track user activities in Power BI 

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NandanHegde,

#1, You can use dataset related REST API to check the detailed settings of your dataset data sources information. (you need to get the group id and correspond dataset id to find out the specific data source)

Datasets - Get Datasources In Group 

#2, Please check the following link about 'get gateway Datasource in group' API to extract the specific gateway Datasource configuration:

Datasets - Get Gateway Datasources In Group 

Reference links:

Register an Azure AD application to use with Power BI 

Docs Power BI REST APIs Datasets Overview 

BTW, if you do not have enough permission to execute these rest API, you can also check on power bi audit logs. It also logged a lot of operations of power bi service that you can find out specific information from its logs.

Track user activities in Power BI 

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.