Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EmilyM2019
Helper II
Helper II

Combining new data into existing data daily

Hi all,

I hope someone is able to offer me some advice with a problem i've been trying to figure out for a while now.

So I have 2 data sets with the same columns, one is static (data set 1) and the other refreshes daily (data set 2). Sometimes data set 2 will contain duplicates of what is in data set 1, but sometimes there is new data that I then need to be added to data set 1 (the duplicate data can be discarded).

So then 2 things:

1 - How do I set it up so that data set 2 combines with data set 1 on a daily basis removing the duplicates and adding the new data?

2 - How do I date stamp the new data? I want to include within data set 1 the date that the new data from data set 2 is added to that report.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Emily.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @EmilyM2019,

#1, You can add a custom step in the dynamic query table with Table.Combine and Table.Distinct functions to combine and remove duplicate records:

Custom= Table.Distinct(Table.Combine{Query1,#"Previous Step"}))

#2, Nope, query tables are the processing review of current query steps. It wasn't able to save/log the specific operation timestamps in the current query table fields. I'd like to suggest you remark the operation timestamp on your Datasource side.
Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @EmilyM2019,

#1, You can add a custom step in the dynamic query table with Table.Combine and Table.Distinct functions to combine and remove duplicate records:

Custom= Table.Distinct(Table.Combine{Query1,#"Previous Step"}))

#2, Nope, query tables are the processing review of current query steps. It wasn't able to save/log the specific operation timestamps in the current query table fields. I'd like to suggest you remark the operation timestamp on your Datasource side.
Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.