Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

hassantm

"Do Not Summarize" missing from scatter graph

I'm struggling to find a way to NOT summarise numerical data when plotting a scatter graph.  I can see the option in Power BI web, but not in the desktop version.  The data looks like 

x = 1,2,3,4,5

y = 12.4, 11.9, 10, 7.3, 6

Power BI insists on aggergating, either by sum or count, the x and y values.  I'm running the Feb 2016 verion 2.32.  

Is there a way to get Power BI to treat the data correctly?  Have I missed something, or is the feature still being developed?

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

So just to be clear, in your Power BI model, do you have the following set to "Do Not Summarize" and it's still not working for your scatter?

dns.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi MrJolly, 

Yes, that's correct.  Using the example "Financal Sample.xlsx" dataset from the PowerBI Desktop web site, if I wanted to plot the Manufacturing Price against the Month Number, there is no option to plot the raw values, even when I have set the columns to Do Not Summarize.  Adding Product to the Details box doesn't change the aggregation either.  

ScatterGraphSetup

This is true for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Power BI Desktop.  I see the same behavour for line charts as well.  

The web version has the option to not aggregate the values.

Thanks

H

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

I am not sure why this is happening but as a workaround have you tried creating a measure to calculate the count and then using that on the scatter chart instead?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I don't want to calculate anything.  I'm just trying to plot X against Y in a scatter plot - no counting or aggregation of the values.  I'm trying to show the invidual values and then I'll plot a marker for the mean and some limits.  Hence the need to not summarize the data.

H

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need another field in your table - something like a DATE or EVENT name etc...

Scatter Chart 2.png

Then drag either field or both fields as in the image below....

Scatter Chart.png

Have you put the same field you put in 'X axis' in your 'Details' section of the scatter graph?  I agree that it would be preferable to do scatter plots how Excel has done them for the last 10 years, but this workaround works for me.

Not only that, but I can now choose the aggregation level, e.g. I can round my X value down to an integer, and use that for the 'details'.  Now many X values are amalgamated to a single point, but if I set the X axis to 'average of ...' then it shows in the correct location, not at the rounded down location.  This helps the tradeoff between seeing all your data, and getting a dense cloud of points when you have thousands of data points.

Quant Analyst, APT, FISGlobal, London.

Check your data type. In the data model you can specify do not aggregate.Capture123.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.