Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jnrezk
Helper III
Helper III

how to edit a data source for power bi datasets live connection

Hi, 

I created a new report and connected to a data source using power bi datasets so there is a live connection to my main model. However, I need to change the connection to a different model and i don't see a way to delete the old or replace it with the new. I saw a edit source option before and now it seems gone - see below.

jnrezk_0-1644577850548.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jnrezk ;

As far as I know, it replaces the old data set, and I did A test.

First, I connected data set A.

vyalanwumsft_0-1644892853634.png

Second, change to dataset B.

vyalanwumsft_1-1644892894392.png

vyalanwumsft_2-1644892932492.png

As we could see, the dataset haved changed.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jnrezk ;

As far as I know, it replaces the old data set, and I did A test.

First, I connected data set A.

vyalanwumsft_0-1644892853634.png

Second, change to dataset B.

vyalanwumsft_1-1644892894392.png

vyalanwumsft_2-1644892932492.png

As we could see, the dataset haved changed.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

What if I don't have permissions to dataset A? Can I still open live connected report and change the source to dataset B? Being said that I have permissions only to dataset B.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jnrezk , Under transform data, data source setting -> you can change it to another power bi dataset

serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi,

i don't know if i've really undestood your question but Data source settings is inside Tranform data

Ok I see this now. When I do it does it replace the other data live connection? because I still see in the web version that the report is connected to the old dataset still. Is there a way for me to just delete the live connection altogether & re-add it under data source? @amitchandak @serpiva64 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.