Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcwilsonii
Helper I
Helper I

filter list is showing duplicate values and not a distinct list

I have PowerBI test project I am working on

Specifics

1) connected to MOLAP cube in SQL server

2) Dimension is a Zip Code lookup with Zip, City, State..et.

Problem is when I try to add State as a Filter the filter adds a state value for every zip code. It's not applying a distinct to the 

values. So I see NY like ten times in the list for the filter. This even happens if I try to add it as a slicer.

Am I missing something? This works in Excel just fine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok figured out the problem... In an attempt to clear the warnings I get upon processing the cube the key column was setup as Zip, State. This resulted in a listing that shows a repeated value for every zip since it thinks that is the Key column for that field.

I had trouble clearing the data field though and kept getting new error messages when I tried processing the dimension.

The only way to recover was to remove the the field from the dimension then add it back. I then had to reprocess the dimension and the data cube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kcwilsonii,

Can you share us some detail content to help us clearly your issue?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

added filter for Geography of State and the list every matching value for every zip codeadded filter for Geography of State and the list every matching value for every zip code

Like this, I added a filter for state from my ZIp code lookup and it repeats the value for every matching zip. The list should at minimum come back with a distinct list and it's not doing that.

This is connection to a data cube in SQL server Analysis server with a dimension for Zip Codes

Ok figured out the problem... In an attempt to clear the warnings I get upon processing the cube the key column was setup as Zip, State. This resulted in a listing that shows a repeated value for every zip since it thinks that is the Key column for that field.

I had trouble clearing the data field though and kept getting new error messages when I tried processing the dimension.

The only way to recover was to remove the the field from the dimension then add it back. I then had to reprocess the dimension and the data cube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.