Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rkapukaya
Helper I
Helper I

connect to ssas direct connection from powerbi - gateway issue

Hi,
i am new at connect ssas tabular model via powerbi directquery. After i created report on desktop, published it. And i configured datasource.
Yet report takes error; "There was a data source access error. Please contact the gateway administrator."

Here is what i do step by step;

* I created tabular model project in import mode and deployed it successfully. I used sql server auth. user to pull data from sql server database.
* I created report on powerbi desktop with my ssas model. And connected to ssas with windows account credentials (readuser@mycompany.com)
this user has server admin privileges on ssas db. Also has rights to login my source sql server database.
* My on-prem gateway is configured by windows account (pbiuser@mycompany.com)
- This user has no rights to login database and analysis services database. User has licence powerbi pro licence.
* I created datasource on web under my gateway connection. And mapped this datasource with my report.
- connection type: analysis services
- user : mycompany\readuser

I login powerbi with pbiuser@mycompany user and get gateway error i mentioned above.When i checked datasource it is successfull. But report takes error and no data shows up.

What are the steps to manage this situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rkapukaya ,

First check if the windows account you use in powerbi desktop is the same as account you used in power bi service when create credential in manage gateway.

The pbiuser@mycompany.com account that you use to login power bi service should have rights to login database and analysis services database, otherwise, you should map it to the user that have rights to login database and analysis services database.

As mentioned in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas#manual...   For Analysis Services data sources, you can configure custom UPN rules. Custom rules help you if your Power BI service sign-in names don't match your local directory UPN. 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rkapukaya ,

First check if the windows account you use in powerbi desktop is the same as account you used in power bi service when create credential in manage gateway.

The pbiuser@mycompany.com account that you use to login power bi service should have rights to login database and analysis services database, otherwise, you should map it to the user that have rights to login database and analysis services database.

As mentioned in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas#manual...   For Analysis Services data sources, you can configure custom UPN rules. Custom rules help you if your Power BI service sign-in names don't match your local directory UPN. 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.