Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sham_24
Regular Visitor

changing sql server connection for Direct Query

I am new to Power BI. I am trying to change my SQL server data source connection to different SQL server data source connection in Direct Query mode. It is asking me to change it to import mode to do this. How can I change the sql server connection in direct query mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Sham_24 

To change a SQL Server data source in DirectQuery mode without switching to import mode, in the Data Source Settings window, locate the current SQL Server data source, and then select Change Feed.

vyohuamsft_0-1713322659445.png

Enter the details of the new SQL Server you want to connect to, including the server name and database. Confirm the changes and close the Data Source Settings window.

vyohuamsft_1-1713322698134.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sham_24
Regular Visitor

Thanks Yongkang Hua for your reply. I followed your steps. But when I go to Tranform Data and go to the Applied Steps-> Source. I see error below.

Sham_24_1-1713362016315.png

Sham_24_0-1713361942730.png

Hi, @Sham_24 

You can create three parameters in Power Query, representing the SQL Server data source, database, and data table, and then modify them in the Advance editor, as shown below:

Create three Parameters

vyohuamsft_0-1713424062629.png

This is my sql server

vyohuamsft_1-1713424125852.png

vyohuamsft_5-1713425143326.png

I'm in the M language in the Advanced Editor and my table data in sql server

vyohuamsft_3-1713424791323.png

let
    Source = Sql.Databases(source),
    SQLTestDB = Source{[Name=basename]}[Data],
    dbo_MyTable = SQLTestDB{[Schema="dbo",Item=tablename]}[Data]
in
    dbo_MyTable

Next, I'm going to make changes to the data source from VXINRU64VMTEST_ZXR to VXINRU64VM data source, and make changes to the database and data tables, you need to do it in the parameters.

vyohuamsft_4-1713425095125.png

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Sham_24 

To change a SQL Server data source in DirectQuery mode without switching to import mode, in the Data Source Settings window, locate the current SQL Server data source, and then select Change Feed.

vyohuamsft_0-1713322659445.png

Enter the details of the new SQL Server you want to connect to, including the server name and database. Confirm the changes and close the Data Source Settings window.

vyohuamsft_1-1713322698134.png

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

Thanks YongKang Hua. It worked beautifully. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.