Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stephen3466
Frequent Visitor

$ and % in the one column

I have a results of team performance, some are expressed in $ others are in %, I combined them all into one table with results for each month, but had to make the data type number - now on the visuals I can't see $ or % just the number.  

For the data model should I split these sets of data into one for $ and one for % or is there a way to leave them in one data set?

And make the visual look at some sort of type to determine if its $ or % or whole number it should be showing

Thanks

Data values.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
olgad
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

create a conditional column called format using if( contains( table, reportname, "%") =true, "#0.00%", "$#0,00") 

Or if there are report names that dont have % in their name, you have to then create an index column and assign these formatting options by index. 
once done, in your value measure just go Format(value/value calculation, selectedvalue(formatcolumn))

hope that works for you!

DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? PLEASE MARK MY POST AS A SOLUTION! APPRECIATE YOUR KUDO/LIKE!
PROUD TO BE A SUPER USER!
Best Stories, Interesting Cases: PowerBI Storytime Newsletter
Linkedin Profile: Linkedin
YouTube Channel: PowerBI Storytime

View solution in original post

Hi, thanks, I'm new to all this

I've done the first part, but I'm new to all this and don't get how to have the format of the data in the values column updated by the values I now have in the format column.  Is it a format change to the value column or is it a new measure (in either case would appreciate some more guidance)

Table.JPG

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
olgad
Super User
Super User

Now create a Measure
Formatted Values=

Format(CALCULATE(Sum([Value])), Selectedvalue(Format)) (in bold this is the column that you created)
Make sure that your format column is text, right now it is abc, 123

DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? PLEASE MARK MY POST AS A SOLUTION! APPRECIATE YOUR KUDO/LIKE!

Hi Olgad

That worked, I'd like to try to push it one step further, I can now see the nicely formatted measure in a table visual, but I cannot use that visual in a bar chart (is it not possible?), I can't drag the measure into the visual 

So at the minute I have a table beside the visual showing the $, %, number for the current month, but the visual beside is for 12 months, and I have to use the original 'value column'.  Which means its formatted as a number for all, is there a way to use the measure instead and have the legends switch between $, % , Number?

And thanks again for your help so far

report.JPG

Hi, doesnt work this way, but there are different workarounds.

My suggested one: 
Categorize your format options and assign an index %-1 #-0
Then create two exact same measures Sum(Value) but change the formatting under Measure tools. one % another # if zou are gonna differentiate between # with 0 decimal or 1 decimal, then you will create extra measures, ok. Now lets go with 2 options.

olgad_3-1678645789050.pngolgad_4-1678645817669.png

Then create a parameter, 

olgad_5-1678645884449.pngolgad_6-1678645908942.png

now create one to many relationship between parameter Order and your table Index value of the format.  Now you can add the parameter slicer and the report names slicer, first zou will be picking

olgad_7-1678646075149.png

Now you can pick either the format sign and it will filter the report names you can vie a report name or you can pick the report name and it will filter you the sign which you would need to click. 

olgad_8-1678646185071.png

SECOND ALTERNATIVE: add index to your report names, how many are there? 

Then you create the measures for all of your Report names. Lets say you have 10 report names you assign Index to them from 1 till 10, then 10 measures  like Average Selling Price=Calculate(Sum(Values), Index=1) Then individually you format the measure in the emasure tools based on what you need % or currency. 
After you create a Field parameter.  adding those 10 measures  and voila you have a slicer to pick from which masure you wanna see and your formatting is good. 

olgad_0-1678644872107.pngolgad_1-1678644897652.pngolgad_2-1678644920222.png

Hi Olgad

I've been out for a few weeks and only getting back to this now, I totally understand if you can't help anymore.  I don't think suggestion 2 will work as I have 140 reports, but in truth I'm lost trying to implement your first suggestion at the first step, when you say 'Categorize your format options and assign an index %-1 #-0' I'm not sure what you mean.

Again any help greatly appreciated

I will take one more look at that tomorrow because in the meantime i created so many advanced versions with field parameters, i am sure i can suggest a more efficient solution. 

Hi

I managed to follow all the instructions which are very clear, I have the 

- conditional column

- the measures

- the parameters (with the linking setup)

- have the slicer, if I select the report with a % the new slicer shows a %

However if I try to use the parameter on the chart I'm not seeing the values.  I've attached some screen shots.  I'm using a combie chart (ie. Bar and Line, not sure if that would make a difference)

Again really appreciate the help

Capture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

7788C73D-AD8B-43FB-B8AA-5B7060333A75.jpeg

@Stephen3466 It took me a while to understand what I wrote🤣

look at this table it has comumn 2 which i created with 0 and 1 value to distinguish between % and # values. Simply put create a conditional column for those. You can use column 1  for that to say if (column 1="#0.00%", 1, 0)

Then you will hook it up with the field parameter 

Now I'm getting an error when I try to create the measure

Again any help appreciated

formula.JPG

One more ) before the comma and )) in the end not three

so [value]))

[format]))

mramstead1
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Depending on the complexity of your raw data, the most straightforward solution is to either move the % values into additional columns within the same table or separate the data into two tables; one for $ and one for %.

This is due to PowerBI, DAX, and PowerQuery all working off of columns rather than Excel working off cells, meaning you can only select one "Data Type" per column.

I'm sure there's more complex solutions that include DAX measures and/or calculated columns, but hopefully this simple solution will work for you.

olgad
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

create a conditional column called format using if( contains( table, reportname, "%") =true, "#0.00%", "$#0,00") 

Or if there are report names that dont have % in their name, you have to then create an index column and assign these formatting options by index. 
once done, in your value measure just go Format(value/value calculation, selectedvalue(formatcolumn))

hope that works for you!

Hi, thanks, I'm new to all this

I've done the first part, but I'm new to all this and don't get how to have the format of the data in the values column updated by the values I now have in the format column.  Is it a format change to the value column or is it a new measure (in either case would appreciate some more guidance)

Table.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.