Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deannag
Helper I
Helper I

Why does one visual keep diverting from theme colors?

Hi,

I have a visual that keeps changing from my theme colors to random colors whenever I filter to something else in my slicer. This is what I want the visual to look like:

deannag_0-1692733388335.png

and these are my theme colors:

deannag_1-1692733418379.png

but these colors come up (or other random ones) when I use a slicer.

deannag_2-1692733470624.png

Could someone please help me? This is really bothering me! I've tried looking at other forums, but nothing is solving this. 

9 REPLIES 9
ahmedoye
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @deannag , one cause of visuals changing from theme colors is usually when the colors in the visual are manually changed any time before applying the report theme. What you can do is to recreate the visual from scratch and ensure you don't manually select the colors (especially colors outside the theme).

That didn't work either unfortunately

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Is the Legend the same values in both screenshots?

Same column and amount of values but different values

I use the same column for the legend, but the values themselves change. Sometimes there are the same number of values (3) and sometimes 4. 

I'm wondering if the Blue bar in photo #1 is the same exact column value as the Purple bar in photo #2.  If it's a different value, then BI is coming up with a new color to make it unique.

How many unique values are in your source column when fully unfiltered?  If it's more than say 12 or so, I'd guess BI is running out of colors in your Theme that are different enough and starts going rogue.  Your theme is very monotone, so that may further limit what it thinks is a "good" color to show.

The legend for both photos is the same column, but the values itself will be different. The column is 'event name' so it's team + day played. When I filter by team, they will each play a different day, but there's still a maximum of 3-4 values that the visual will show. I'll try pulling different colors into the theme, but I'd like it to be more consistent even though it is monotone.

So, the first visual could have July 1, July 2, and July 3, but the second visual could have August 1, August 2, and August 3. Does that make sense?

That being said I'm trying to find a way to force Power Bi to use the colors in the theme to avoid this. I know it's monotone, so I'll try pulling in some different colors into the theme, but 

If you source column is Dates, then that's why it's having to generate a lot of different and unique colors.

Let's say your source column has all 365 Days of the year in it, BI is going to try and assign a unique color for all 365, of which only a handful will be part of your theme.

Usually Legends are more like "Categories" vs. Dates, such as "Dog, Cat, Horse" of which there may only be a dozen or so and BI will choose the Theme colors until it runs out and will move to random distinct colors.

Other visuals on the same page don't have their colors changing, but those legends are also staying the same.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.