Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

__Marc__
Frequent Visitor

What is more efficient for duplicating tables: referencing tables (PQ) or creating calculated tables

Sometimes, for some use cases, you want the same table to be available more than once in the model instead of using (in)active relations with USERELATIONSHIP. Eg. a Order Date and Shipping Date table.

You can do that by referencing a table (using PQ) or by creating calculated tables in DAX.

I wonder what is the most efficient approach regarding speed, size (memory) and refresh times?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@__Marc__ 

Referencing the table in PQ is the best option. This way, when you load the queries to the model, you get a highly optimized model with good compression compared to creating Tables in the Model using dax

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@__Marc__ 

Referencing the table in PQ is the best option. This way, when you load the queries to the model, you get a highly optimized model with good compression compared to creating Tables in the Model using dax

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.