Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pbi2K15

View / Read Only Mode

Hi there,

is it possible to open *pbix files in read only mode, so that the viewer isn't able to manipulate the report? Or is uploading the file to the Power BI service the only way to make reports available as "read only"?

Thanks in advance,

pa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexGorev
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Consider posting your feature request here: https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi

Alex.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi! I know this post is from a couple of years ago, but has there been any updates that will solve this issue? 

AlexGorev
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Consider posting your feature request here: https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi

Alex.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you put the PBIX file in a SharePoint library or on a file share and only give the user read-only access to it, then they would be able to change the report in Power BI Desktop but not save the changes. Otherwise, no Power BI Desktop is not setup for that. You could alternatively use Excel and lock down the sheet.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I know you posted this 7 years ago but this solution works great for me. If you're still around, a great big thank you!!! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.