Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

changehern
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Connect to SQL Server

Hello,

I'm using Power BI desktop Aug 2016 release. 

From my laptop: I am able to connect to my SQL server (11.0.6020.0) from SSMS 2016. But I'm unable to connect to the same SQL server using Power BI even though I changed the timeout setting to 10 mins. This is the error message that I'm getting:

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

SNAG-01-09-2016 2.30.16 PM.png

7 REPLIES 7
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @changehern

This link will help you to troubsheoot the error occured in SQL Server connection to the PBI.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190181(v=sql.105).aspx

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@changehern Have you tried using options such as IP address instead of name to connect.

Thanks for your reply @ankitpatira. Yes i'm using IP address and getting the error. Using the IP address in SSMS 2016 connects to the SQL server without any issue. 

@changehern

Maybe you can enable tracing in Options – Diagnostics, and then reproduce the issue in Power BI Desktop to create and collect new trace files. There may be some useful information in them. You can take a look at this document.

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft Thanks for the great advice. I did just that and have attached the Error log here. I can't seem to find further clues. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks! 

@changehern

Just to confirm, did you install SSMS and Power BI Desktop on the same laptop? How about the result if you disable firewall on your machines?

BTW, could you please try to ping your SQL Server IP from the machine where Power BI Desktop is installed.

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft sorry for the late response. Have been out of the country. Yes, SSMS and PowerBI Desktop are installed on the same laptop with Windows Firewall turned off. And network connectivity to the SQL server is fine too (not via Ping but via Telnet). 

Any other ideas? Many thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.