Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

robdwright
Advocate II
Advocate II

Transparency Colour for one value in a stacked column chart

Hello, I've been searching for a solution for this and have not found anything online.

I'm trying to change the colour of one value in a 100% Stacked Column chart. I want to do this so the background colour can be seen and also this last value (grey column) in the stack is not essential. This is what I currently have and the second image is what I would like to be able to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

robdwright_0-1647521451439.png

robdwright_1-1647521840247.png

12 REPLIES 12
PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Ahh the grey is just a category you visualy would like to hide. So basicly you want to use a 100% stacked column, just because it gives a 100% axis. I would say, use a stacked column chart and create a 100% axis.

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @robdwright ,

In the visual properties, you will have a background section where you can set the transparency property.

In the below ss, although I have a grey background, since my transparency is 100%, my visual looks white (fully transparent)

Thejeswar_0-1647522790643.png

Hi I want to keep the background and make the grey bar in the 100% stacked column transparent.

Hi @robdwright ,

If this is an image that you are using for background, you might have to remove the image.

The Earlier suggestion I gave was for if you are using a colour fill as your background. In case you are using both background image and color, making this background color transparent is not going to have any impact on your background image

By the way, is the grey bar the value that you have made up just to fill the visual with an idea of hiding it later?

Hi @Thejeswar 

The backgound is fine and is what I wanted.

The grey bar is the 6th value in the 100% stacked column - I have to keep this value to make the 100% stack column work correctly.  By making this value transparent I will end up with the required result. See image two in the original post.

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

By using the 100% you're trying to make a workaround. You need a stacked column chart, fix your axis and perhapse value (measure?) to create the desired result. 

By using the stacked column chart I still need to make a workaround.  As the axis now does not work as a percent of the total.

robdwright_0-1647530640379.png

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Isn't that easily fixed? Just change how to display the value.

PVO3_0-1647535472921.png

Hi @PVO3 

Not that straightforward - putting the value to a percentage of grand total gives you this.

But leave that with me as I might have to create a measure to correct the Y-Axis to solve this.  Which is why I was using the 100% stacked column chart.

robdwright_0-1647536177258.png

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

To mimic the Y axis accordingly to the 100% stacked, just change the range minimum 0 to maximum 1.

But i think you might want to rethink your values. Not sure what youre currently using, but you might want to change the filter context.

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

The conditional formatting of backgrounds for some visuals do not work. Isn't this just simply fixed by removing background of the chart and use a shape or an image in the background? Or you want this to be dynamic?

Hi, sorry if it isn't clear. I want to keep the background and make the grey bar in the 100% stacked column transparent. As the second image shows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.